FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

TOMTOM software for connect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOMTOM software for connect
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:08am
i would say the only let down in the QQ is the satnav a number of times now mine as let me down where the street doesnt even exist its a shame it isnt an option because if it was say an extra £50 to have the tomtom software i would have deffo gone for it.i wish i could just buy a sd map card and put it in the connect and have tomtom mapsLOL
60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:50am
A lot of people think along the same lines Stig but you would think the difference in price between them,  the connect would be the better system alas it seems not.....Unhappy
angela010 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angela010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:16am
I would definately have TomTom Live software.  I used my connect for the first time last week and it told me 2nd left when it was clearly the first and let me into a not nice area up a dead end street.
Where there were one or 2 roundabouts that had been there for years connect did not know about.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:42am
Its all down to the map provider having the latest... well maybe not latest information on it which the connect seems not to have...although I have found it alright so far....people from different parts will find info missing even though the road/address has been there a few years....you would think with all the technology it would be simple to add to the database.....appears not...
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 12:17pm
I have a recent TomTom from before I fitted Connect to my QQ. TomTom is miles better but I find I very rarely use it now thanks to the convenience of Connect just being "there" ready to go.

If I required sat nav for something quite *extreme* (maybe, say, driving through central London in the dark, or driving to an interview with lots of time pressure) when I really needed it to be as spot on as possible I would go to the effort of using my TomTom. But for 99% of scenarios the Connect does the job really, so long as you keep your wits about you, use a bit of common sense and map read the route on screen rather than just blindly follow the voice commands.

It's the same with all sat navs...they are inherently limited by not being human! And by the accuracy of GPS technology, changing environments, definitions of what constitutes a road etc. GPS is probably only going to be 5-10m accurate at best, which can cause some confusion with "turn left now" in a built up area. And GPS will perform less well in a built up area anyway thanks to multipath errors due to tall buildings etc. "Second left" may actually be third left if you count the car park entrance as an option, and you have to assume it wouldn't count a one-way street in the wrong direction as an option...or do you? Then there's the fact that new roads are being built all the time, not to mention mini roundabouts! Even the latest map will be out of date as soon as it's published. 

I've heard stories of people trying to take the sat nav instructions too literally and going the wrong way down slip roads etc! Madness. The bottom line is you still need to look at the road, signs and the line on the map that shows you where you need to go. That's much more reliable than following the vocal instructions verbatim. 

Went off on one there....

So yes. TomTom is much better than Connect in terms of its mapping, instructions and routing. But I find Connect gets me close enough to suffice (just have to then engage the old noggin sometimes) and the downsides are outweighed by its convenience. The smart thing would be for car manufacturers to team up with TomTom and use their software, maps and update facility. Do some do this already? It would really be the bees' knees if they did Thumbs Up

2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 12:21pm
.....and very nicely put Gemma.....Clap
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:56pm
I had a TomTom once which wanted me to join the M40 via a B road bridging it, through a 5-bar gate and down a gravel track made for emergency vehicles to use LOL..............and no - I didn't BTW.
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
MJJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:06pm
Sony do a 'connect' type unit which runs TomTom software - but it's about £1300. Let's be honest with ourselves here though, the fact that TomTom 'can' get it wrong, is not reason to be content with a system that is worse than a TomTom. Such an argument ultimately dictates that you swap your connect unit for a radio/CD and a map and a compass. It's not just a latest map issue, it's about the quality of the software that the device runs - and TomTom's software is pretty good. My brother has a range-rover with a built in satnav that is essentially useless. Looks to me though, that the next few years will see more built-in units running TomTom software - I hope so.
Acenta 1.5 dCi

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:20pm

Wifey has a TomTom and it's fine.  I just cant be doing trailing wires and/or stuff suckered onto the windscreen/dash and wobbling all over the place.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:23pm
Which brings us back to its only an aid, driver has final decision....just ask G5....LOL
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Wifey has a TomTom and it's fine.  I just cant be doing trailing wires and/or stuff suckered onto the windscreen/dash and wobbling all over the place.

Suppose to put your jelly in the fridge to set not on the dash G5....or is it something else.....Wink
MJJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 6:45pm
I think G5 Boy is talking about his compass - must have one of those suction-mounted, floaty-ball jobs. The wires; must be a delux, illuminated one.
Acenta 1.5 dCi

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:58am
Since Renault own Nissan now and Renault also provide the Tom Tom based onboard navigation all I will say is "it's very possible!"

As it happens the Connect is rumoured to be Windows CE - based. Tom Tom certainly do make a version of their software for Windows CE - although I think the stuff running on the NC is actually produced by Bosch/Blaupunkt. I don't know how possible it would be to encorporate Tom Tom into the next version of the NC - but it'd certainly consider it a major draw if they did.

Edited by 2Fat2Bald - 21 May 2011 at 1:04am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

Since Renault own Nissan now and Renault also provide the Tom Tom based onboard navigation all I will say is "it's very possible!"

As it happens the Connect is rumoured to be Windows CE - based. Tom Tom certainly do make a version of their software for Windows CE - although I think the stuff running on the NC is actually produced by Bosch/Blaupunkt. I don't know how possible it would be to encorporate Tom Tom into the next version of the NC - but it'd certainly consider it a major draw if they did.

All so say all of us.....LOL
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:15am
ARE YOU LISTENING NISSAN/RENAULT??

/\
/\
Customer feedback - telling you what you need to do to improve your product using technology  you already have access to! - On a semi-related note, how about the 170bhp version of the diesel engine?
/\
/\
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:51am
Seems they do monitor this site.....had one of their engineers in France asking what we would like to change about out QQs a while ago....members gave him quite a few suggestions, cant remember which thread it was on but do a search for it.  Thumbs Up
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 2:14pm
I remember that one. I think he was mainly asking what accessories we'd like to see available for the Qashqai.

Actually. I think I mentioned the idea of putting the 170bhp engine into the Qashqai at the time and he replied something like "No! I only wanted suggestions for accessories. I don't DO the actual cars". Rather than what he should have said "Interesting suggestion. It's not in my remit because I personally only deal with accessories - but I'll certainly pass your suggestion on to the people who make those kinds of decisions". Something like that, anyway. To be honest it did rather give me an insight into where some of the poor cultural values at Nissan dealerships might perhaps have their genesis..........
VanDiesil View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanDiesil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 1:10pm
Had to chuckle when reading this as I found an immediate flaw in the Connect Nav software & that is my street name is incorrectly spelled!!!! Instead of being "Kirminton" the Connect mappers have decided to rename it "Irminton". All other Navigation software  including the FREE ones for the iPhone etc can spell it correctly. Good job I know what my street is called (have street name sign on the house!) lol Must have been a Friday afternoon addition lol

One thing I would like to do though is to change that bloody woman's voice!!! 

Must admit though it is polite in "please take the next left" etc. Strange to hear a woman talking politely (lights blue touch paper!!!) lololol
Ooooooosssshhhhhh!!!!!!!

11 plate n-Tec 1.5dCi in speckley metallic purpley brown
angela010 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angela010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm
I would also like to know if I can change the voice.

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 6:16pm
The Nissan connect's sat nav system is *BASIC*. You can't change voices (except to choose a different country). You don't get proper speed camera Alerts. You don't get much detail as it's based on an SD-Card, there are no spoken street names, no lane assist, no customisation, no live updates (just TMC), no speed warnings, etc etc. 

It's about as basic as Sat Navs actually get and represents where the technology was maybe ten years ago. It's perfectly fine for occasional use (eg going on holiday, or finding day trip destinations) but if you're a heavy sat-nav user then you'll probably want something more modern and comprehensive - like a decent tom-tom. 

But it's fairly cheap, I guess. And harder to nick than a TomTom. It's not a patch on the old command center that proceeded it, or most other built-in systems. The one in my partner's Astra  just makes it look silly, to be honest.

the stig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:21pm
i  know compared to the tomtom its poopLOLLOLsurely someone suggested the tomtom software at the time
60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:27pm
Yep. I wouldn't bother to spec an ntec next time. I'd just have an acenta, standard radio and buy by myself a tom tom.

Annoyingly you can now get Renault cars with TomTom built in - so why not a Nissan.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
As one of the first in the GPS world, TomTom (a Dutch company) had the advantage of developing fantastic new technology in collaboration with Teleatlas (another Dutch company) providing the maps.
TomTom eventually acquired Teleatlas and they continue to be the leaders in the add-on GPS market.
Others struggle to keep up so it's hardly surprising that the Connect is not as good as the TomTom. It's a competitive world and there's no doubt that that the Connect designers and their cartographers are constantly working on improvements.
The one thing every GPS user has to bear in mind is that the road network is constantly evolving so the updating of maps is an essential part of the ownership deal.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 9:34pm

Yep. I wouldn't bother to spec an ntec next time. I'd just have an acenta, standard radio and buy by myself a tom tom.

Annoyingly you can now get Renault cars with TomTom built in - so why not a Nissan.

I agree with you 2F2B. I had a TomTom about 10 years ago and passed it on to my daughter who still uses it today. If Renault have adopted it as a built-in technology then there's every possibilty that Nissan will follow suit.

Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 1:09am
It's not just Renault, actually, a couple of car manufacturers have brought out in-build TomTom. They range from essentially being a Tom Tom unit in a cradle to full integrated systems that work much as the Connect does - only rather better. 
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:17am
Would be better with a tom tom system, most people do prefer one...think it make sense for Nissan to used tom tom as it is what most peoples choice of sat/nav... 
DC Dick View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 11:05pm

Since Renault own Nissan now and Renault also provide the Tom Tom based onboard navigation 

Nissan & Renault are an alliance, with Nissan responsible for petrol engines & Renault for diesel, with shared development of other things.

Renault have a 43.4% stake in Nissan....Nissan have a 15% stake in Renault

It's some way from Renault owning Nissan  Smile

http://www.renault.com/en/groupe/l-alliance-renault-nissan/pages/fonctionnement-et-structure.aspx

See the above link for details

Cheers

Dick

Edited by DC Dick - 09 Sep 2011 at 11:07pm
was, 1.5Dci (61) ...Ntec...Nightshade..... wish I still had it.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 11:15pm
And this is why I say in the 2.0dCi being replaced by a 1.6 is really not the idea.

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 12:22am
Specifically it's 6.6 percent from Renault effectively owning Nissan. Unless Nissan own almost all the remain stock then Renault are probably in overall control.

My point is really that they share engines, so I am sure they can share sat navs.

Edited by 2Fat2Bald - 10 Sep 2011 at 12:24am
Craigy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 7:50pm
I'm getting more and more disappointed with the connect, I mean it's ok but really the MP3 play is woefully inadequate. I know that the majority of MP3 players in cars are rubbish but why can't I have playlists, and search for songs instead of just folders, maybe play by genre or search by album.
If I have a load of folders with various artists in them why won't it search by artist? It's just poor, if I can write software to achieve this within a couple of hours then why can't these guys.

Poor, but still ok I guess, why can't Nissan lead the way by doing this kind of stuff instead of just looking at the competition and saying "well it does as much as there's that'll do".
N-Tec 2.0Dci 4x4 in Nightshade.
DC Dick View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm

Specifically it's 6.6 percent from Renault effectively owning Nissan. Unless Nissan own almost all the remain stock then Renault are probably in overall control.

My point is really that they share engines, so I am sure they can share sat navs.

It's a bit of strange business relationship IMHO......to me as an "outsider" it seems that as you mention it is only engines that are traded/shared  ?
The japanese have access to plenty of "hi tech" stuff that they choose not to use, I'm sure the marketing powers that be supply the cars with the most economical level of fittings that they can get away with.

I worked for years in the motor trade & the relationship between major manufacturers has never been as blurred as it is these days

Part of the fun I supposeWink 

Cheers

Dick
was, 1.5Dci (61) ...Ntec...Nightshade..... wish I still had it.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Craigy Craigy wrote:

I'm getting more and more disappointed with the connect, I mean it's ok but really the MP3 play is woefully inadequate. I know that the majority of MP3 players in cars are rubbish but why can't I have playlists, and search for songs instead of just folders, maybe play by genre or search by album.

yeah, it's not great, is it? The MP3 Player thing is pretty ghastly, both in terms of using it and the sound quality. The sat nav is pretty darn basic and the whole thing is a tiny screen annoyingly in the middle of the dash, so you shouldn't really look at it whilst you're driving (making the map a bit pointless). I wouldn't bother with it again, i'd get a standard HU and a TomTom.

Incidentally. The playlists do appear if you connect an iPod. They just don't if you use USB stick. Given that the whole thing is WinCE based (yeah, I know!) I wonder if you could fill a USB stick, then make folders as "playlists" containing shortcuts to files you wanted in that "playlist". If you then browse to the folder, do the shortcuts appear? Can you "play" them?

Just a thought.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by DC Dick DC Dick wrote:

it seems that as you mention it is only engines that are traded/shared  ?
The japanese have access to plenty of "hi tech" stuff that they choose not to use, I'm sure the marketing powers that be supply the cars with the most economical level of fittings that they can get away with.

Yep, absolutely. What really brings it home is VAG cars. You can specify EXACTLY the same option on a Skoda or Seat and I will cost a third what it would to spec if on an Audi. Okay, so one says "Skoda" on it and one "Audi", but they're both bloody identical other than that!

Cars are never a case of the manufacturer going out and making the best their engineers can, they're a case of marketting deciding what they want to try to sell people, and engineers coming up with something as close as they can. For example, Nissan could extract 200bhp out of their 2.0 DCI engine if they wanted to, I'm sure. But "Marketing" believe that there is only a market for a 110hp and 140hp crossover - so that's what the car is made with. Oddly enough they don't try the 200bhp engine, so they never actually know for sure if it would sell. I'd have bought one. Since they now decided economy is "hot" and fitted a 1.6 litre engine they've lost me as a customer. Skoda offer the Yeti with a 170bhp engine - Which sounds good....

Similarly - I believe lots of tech gets "held back" so they've got something to stick on the next generation of cars when they make them to encourage people to "upgrade" to a car featuring X improvement that could have been on the last generation, but wasn't.
rustyfrog View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 8:49pm
I have just moved from a Renault Laguna 2L diesel with TomTom to a QQ ntec.
Although I love the QQ, the sat nav system at best is Poo!

No map colour choices, no voice choices, no voice recogntion, etc. etc.

So far Connect is my only disappointment.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left!

2011 QQ + 2, Ntec, 2L dci 4wd, Blade Silver, + Chrome pack
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 11:00pm
I know. In s word it's "Shyte"

Frankly I would have torn mine out a long time ago and fitted a better stereo if it wasn't for the reversing camera.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic