UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Faulty xenon lights and bulb replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tekna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tekna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faulty xenon lights and bulb replacement
    Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:53am
Just posted this in faults and fixes but maybe this is a better place?

Recently had the same symptom as Rozel described in his post where the drivers side light flickers for one second but doesn't fire up. 

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/xenon-headlamp-bulb-replacement_topic6085.html

With only Rozel's write up To go on I assumed the same problem as him but it turns out my problem was simply a dodgy bulb. 

I was very nervous about trying to change the bulb without removing bumpers and wheel arches etc because of Rozel's experience with getting the igniter back on and the fact Nissan charge £100 to fit the bulb suggests there's more to it than meets the eye. However, if you do things in the right order getting the igniter back on is fairly straightforward and I swapped the xenon bulb in 10mins.

Here's what I did.
Disconnected battery negative terminal and removed cover from back of light. 
Turned igniter anti-clockwise and it popped off (connecting wire automatically disconnected itself)
Released bulb by unclipping two metal springs
Put new bulb back in and secured with spring
Twisted igniter back on (without wire connected). I think this may be what Rozel was doing wrong because when I tried to do this I reconnected the wire and then tried to twist the igniter back on but not amount of force would make it happen. However, on closer inspection i realised the igniter has a cleverly hidden mechanism that prevents you putting it back on if then wire is in. It's this that causes the wire to pop out when you remove the igniter. 
So the igniter twisted on easily without the wire and then I plugged the wire back in.
Replaced plastic cover and connected battery and job was done.

It is a slightly fiddly job before of the confined space at the back of the light but certainly not £100 worth of effort.

So two reasons for posting this 
1) don't assume if you bulb flickers that it's the ballast
2) swapping out bulbs and moving bulbs/igniters from one side of the car to the other can be done easily in order to diagnose the fault before taking the car to bits!
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:28am
Nice job, and if it saves money, well worth the effort!!
Well done Thumbs Up
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
beercan2001 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beercan2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 1:13pm
Hi Guys

With the guidance on this thread it took just 5 minutes to successfully remove the old passenger side xenon bulbSmile 

Now if anyone could please post a link of where i can buy a replacement HID bulb  (or pair) that have the ignitor separate like to QQ version (as all the ones i have found have it attached!! D1S style) i would be most grateful as i am only half way through the job at the momentConfused

thanks in advance

Mark
beercan2001 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beercan2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:26pm
update on my previous comment on thread the bulb i have removed says D2R Osram 35W part no 66050 but the only ones that i can find on amazon have part number 66250 does anyone out there know if they are the same part with a different part number or if there is a difference?? Also there seem to be a lot of cheaper equivalent on ebay / amazon has anyone used the cheaper ones and if so how have they lasted??

thanks in advance

Mark

Originally posted by beercan2001 beercan2001 wrote:

Hi Guys

With the guidance on this thread it took just 5 minutes to successfully remove the old passenger side xenon bulbSmile 

Now if anyone could please post a link of where i can buy a replacement HID bulb  (or pair) that have the ignitor separate like to QQ version (as all the ones i have found have it attached!! D1S style) i would be most grateful as i am only half way through the job at the momentConfused

thanks in advance

Mark
Tekna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 1:48am
Really glad to hear my post helped. I bought my bulbs from these guys: http://www.xenons4u.co.uk/

I did a bit of research and was wary about buying off eBay as there are some fake bulbs out there and i wanted a brand name (Phillips or Osram). As far as I can tell the bulbs I was sent are genuine (have worked fine since I fitted them). Also, I managed to order the wrong ones and the guys were happy to swap them - no fuss or quibble.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic