Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Owners questions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front Seatbelts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandeeve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Seatbelts
    Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 8:12pm
Hi ,
I have a 2010 Facelift Tekna 1.5dci. I have noticed a difference between driver and passenger side (front) seat belt floor anchors, at the cill, inside the 'B' pillar.
The driver side is mounted to the floor throgh a corrugated rubber cover which seems to cover a high tensile cable that then passes through the plastic cill / floor trim. I then assume this then bolts to the floor???  I am assuming this is part of the pre tensioner system for the belt.
The passenger side belt is attached directly to a steel ring which that then passes through the plastic cill trim and appears to be bolted directly to the floor. No sign of the corrugated rubber or cable. Are all QQ's like this? I was always under the impression that both front belts had pre tensioners. Seems a bit odd to me Wacko!!!!!
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

CheersBig smile
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 10:38pm
I would have thought both seats have pre tensioners, my old Rover had so I dont see Nissan being so tight as to only fit the one. Doesnt only the  driver side have height adjustment? could it be related to that maybe.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Dandeeve View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandeeve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 11:34pm
Hi Ericos.
Yes that did occur to me, but if you raise the seat the lap strap part of the belt adjusts by sliding through the buckle where you plug the belt in, also the shoulder strap is adjustable where it comes out of the b pillar. I just thought that modern cars had to have tensioners on both front belts?? However, now i think about it maybe only the driver side requires a tensioner due to the fact that the steering wheel can be adjusted towards you and any forward movement of the driver in an accident has to be kept to a minimum due to the closer proximity of the airbag.
As far as I recall All my previous cars had them on both, so maybe Nissan are being a bit tight!!
qashqai_102 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qashqai_102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 9:09pm
Dandeeve - my first thought was exactly what you just said about the steering wheel. Not only it being adjustable but the fact that at any point its going to be closer to you than the dash on the passanger side so should the airbags go off the distance between the steering wheel and you is going to be fsr less than a passanger.

Ben
jbb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 11:02am
On the Nissan web site the specs for all QQs are front seatbelts with load limiter and pre-tensioner. This would make me think that both seatbelts have this, if it was just the drivers seat then shouldn't they have to state that. I agree that the passenger one does look different to the drivers side will have a look at mine later.

Just spoken to the dealer I had my car from, and they said that both front seat have the pre-tensioner on them.

Edited by jbb - 09 Sep 2013 at 11:10am
2011 1.5dci N-Tec, Magnetic Red, Mud flaps, Internal white LED's and Club sticker.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 12:02pm
Just had a look at mine, only driver side has a pre-tension seat belt. Passenger side does not, only standard fixed seatbelt.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
jbb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 1:13pm
There seems to be something strange going on here. Are Nissan pulling a quick one as the specs state pre-tension seat belts, also on the Euro NCAP web site it states "Double seatbelt pretensioners ensured that the driver's forward movement was very limited, keeping the knees and femurs well away from the dashboard". If they have just fitted it to the drivers seat, then the NCAP rating needs to be looked at again as it shows 5 stars for adult occupant.
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_qashqai_2007/290.aspx
2011 1.5dci N-Tec, Magnetic Red, Mud flaps, Internal white LED's and Club sticker.
jbb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 1:45pm
I think I now have the answer to this. The passenger seat has the pre-tensioner located with the retractor, but the drivers belt also has a lap pre-tensioner which would explain the difference in the bottom mountings. In the hand book it's on page 1-12.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 2:13pm
Yep, think you have solved it jbb. Read the manual and only drivers side has the lap pre-tensioner hence the different base fixing to the car from passenger side. Makes sense now!
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
Dandeeve View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandeeve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 9:58pm
Thanks guys. ClapFor a moment there i thought i might have opened a right an of worms. Was getting ready to contact Nissan LOL Always pays to read the handbook....der!!!!Embarrassed
PS love this forum, some really helpful folks on it...cheers all,,will sleep  tonight...LOL Handshake
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic