Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LED woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED woes
    Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 6:47pm
Not a happy bunny!!Cry
My better half kindly suggested that for my birthday I should order the replacement LED's for my QQ after seeing me constantly browsing for them on-line.
I managed to suss out the correct types needed, (with more than a little help from here) but it appears that not all is what it seemedShocked
I was "permitted" to install these pre-birthday date (the sad puppy eyes did it I reckon) and set-to this afternoon with sage advice from the forum ringing in my ears.
First off, the side repeaters: push and lift, it said, so I pushed and lifted, and pushed, and lifted, but they wouldnt budge. Gave up.Confused
"Let's try the front indicators, they look straightforward", yeah they came off okay, the new 581 (offset-pin) LED's fit the holder but it seemed that I was having a problem "lining-up" the bulb with the lens fitting. So a bit of wiggling and in went the LED.....with a clunk....as the bulb fell out of the holder into the indicator/headligt..aaaargh!!Angry. After an age trying to retrieve it, still no luck. It looks like its going to be a headlight removal....CryCryCry and I STILL don't reckon I'll get it back through the hole. MMm!!
When I looked at the other fitting, the new LED's are just too "big" to fit the aperture. So much for being suitable for this vehicle..rats!!

Okay, lets try the rears (you'd think I'd learn wouldn't you?)Embarrassed
Off with the rear lenses (easy-peasy bit), unclipped the bulb holders...easy enough (fingers getting numb with the cold at this stage, so this was interrupted a fair bit with lots of blowing into the hands). In goes the 581 (offset-pin) amber LED, seems okay, lets give it a try...IT WORKS!!, so back to the stop/tail bulb, in goes the supplied LED, "Hang on a bit. That is a different fitting to the one I took out" I had a look and sure enough, the original was in-line pins like the LED but with TWO contact points on the base (the LED only had one, a 382 version)...defeated again!!
The indicators look good though!

Lets have another look at the side repeaters. Okay ease the holder forward, ah, lets try slipping a cable tie behind the cover to ease in the clip..voila, off it comes. Unscrewed the cover, out with the T10 bulb, in with the new T10 amber LED, replace lens....crack!!. One split lens. The LED was too long.

So, nice new LED rear indicators, but a "loose" LED rattling around the headlight, 5 useless LED's and a cracked repeater lens...Oh Hum!!

Please learn from my stupidity, and double-check BEFORE changing to LED's.Ouch
2007 1.5dci Accenta in Faded Denim
2010 1.5dci Facelift N-tec in Nightshade
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 7:40pm
Sorry to hear that pal , not a good day

Edited by Craigfishin - 29 Jan 2014 at 7:41pm
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
blackhawkf1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhawkf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 8:20pm
It is good that your rear indicators are now LED, not so good about the other issues.

I tried swapping to LED indicators, but all I got from the car was was the usual fast flash telling me there is a bulb out. Did try a resistor, but it got so hot didn't want to risk hiding that behind the rear lamp cluster and melting something.

Never understood why the 2010 model has side and brake light as LED but not indicators, cost perhaps.

May be I've been looking at Merc and BMW indicators for too longLOL

allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 11:07pm
Fascinating story...........LOLLOLLOLLOL (you have to see the funny side though!)....

Al. Wink
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
notanotherhobby View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 7:17pm
Mmm, thanks for the comments folks, but there's an update...

The "succcessful" and very nice looking rear LED indicators, are no more!! When I "tested" them yesterday I did so using the hazard light switch, as it enabled me to go around the car to check all was well, and indeed it was. Today I set off in the QQ and as soon as I indicated to turn at the end of the road, one normal "click" was heard then "click-click-click....." it went mental, the same problem as mentioned above by blackhawkf1, usually indicating (!!haha!!!) a bulb has failed. Rats!!
Out came the spanners, and out came the LED's, and in went the trusty old fashioned (but working) bulbs.
If there is any good to come from this is that it might help others from making a similar mistake (or two). The other good news is that the supplier has kindly agreed to refund all monies for those lEDs that can be returned (and he will supply a Freepost address too, nice of him) They haven't suggested a way of removing the errant front indicator LED though (not looking forward to getting that back out, although one smart ar.., sorry, colleague, suggested sticking a vacuum cleaner on the bulb hole. How could I explain THAT to the missus??)Embarrassed
pennine15 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennine15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 7:25pm
You could try a piece of stiff wire or cable with some blu-tack on the end and cross your fingers Big smile
Qashqai 1.6 N-TEC+ 4x2 2012 Mineral Grey. Folding mirrors, auto windows & club sticker.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:01pm
You have to check all functions as this link will show:

Stop/Tail need to be non-CanBus.

Indicator LED need to be non-CanBus and they will need resistors (the front will also probably need the wiring polarity changing over).

Al.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 3:22pm
Isn't life fun????
Well I bit the bullet and decided to try one of the LED's into the rear fog.......B-I-G mistake!!Cry
Have you ever tried removing the rear foglight? I followed the instructions in the manual to ensure I was doing it properly, and even though they suggested using two screwdrivers to lever out the lens, (yeah, a bit brutal, but thats what they said) the lens would only move outwards a few millimetres, but I persevered, even using my trusty cable tie method to see if that would help, but no. So I removed the "tools" had a re-think, checked the manual AGAIN, and gave it another try. Eventuall out came the lens....whoopie....oh, maybe that spring thing shouldn't look bent backwards like that?? OK lets try and ease it back into shape (yeah, yeah I know) "ping", one snapped-off spring thingy...I only swore a little bit, honest (fingers crossed behind my back).
As a consequence the fitting wouldn't re-fit into the bumper, so off to the nearest Nissan stealership. The nice parts man shook his head and said "think that comes as a complete unit mate" whan I asked if they had the spring thing in stock (rear foglight in hand), but he went off to have a look-see. When he returned it was a case of "nope, its the full unit, look, here's a picture and the part number, oh and the price.............49.32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!Wacko
As I left the stealership (appropriate don'tcha think??) sans the "new" lens, I walked past several Qashqais (including the new 2014 models) and it seemed like every one was rear-on to me flaunting their foglights...spooky!!
A quick trawl on the interweb and managed to find a complete lens for the princely sum of 13.99, okay still expensive for a spring thingy, but at least it will hopefully be a completely new lens/fittings. As a temorary fix I am going to try to refit the original using a couple of shaped bits of double-sided tape, when it eventually stops raining that is.
Will I ever learn??

On a positive note..
Managed to fit replacement Xenon effect headlamp bulbs x 4, a job I was not looking forward to doing, but found pretty easy, and the light is uber bright..impressed I am. A-N-D...I managed to get the errant LED fromout of the headlight, using a combination of coaxial cable, picture wire and eventually a pair of pliers to pull the darned thing out of the (too small) hole. Result!!Thumbs Up
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 3:57pm
Oh dear, you sure are having problems.

Just for info, you may find one of these useful to keep in your tool box:

I've had one for years and it is worth it's weight in gold when you need it (as I have many times).

Good luck.

Al.

PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 3:59pm
You are a busy boy!

Hope to see some night time dark pictures showing off these soon.

Frankie
Mainly found at an office chair these days
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:35pm
Yet another update...
I've been putting-off fitting the fog light bulbs after reading about removing splash guards, etc, but finally decided it was dry enough to give it a go. Down went the picnic rug, under the front bumper, and out came the Phillips screwdriver. Removed the single Phillips screw, pushed-up the small triangular under tray, and reached upwards towards the back of the spotlight. Quickly found the fitting, gave it a twist, and out it came!! Fitted the new H11 bulb, reached up and re-fitted the new bulb. Gave it a quick test, and all done, uber bright fog light. The other side, if anything, was easier still. So no problems there there.
I tried alternate six led repeater sidelight bulbs , but the output was slightly better than a dying candle, so the 501 standard bulb was returned to the fitting.
Today, I had another go at the stop/tail led's after receiving a different set via eBay. The light output was abysmal from the tail light, in fact I was so dissapointed I removed the LED without even looking at the stop light output.
So, today I've made the decision to give up on the LED route (for now at least). I'm thinking that a compromise might be bulbs with quicker response times and slightly brighter than normal output. Watch this space.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:41am
I know I joked with you regarding your problems, but don't give up on changing to LED.

The reason I could empathize with you is because I have been through the testing/failing/frustrating circle that you're going through.

You order the LEDs. Wait for delivery. Take various parts of the car apart. Remove/refit. Test and disappointment.

The biggest disappointment I had was the LED Stop/Tail as I had initially decided to choose a CanBus LED (I don't know why Confused?).

They worked fine with the ignition 'on' but I only found they didn't work with the ignition 'off' when parking at night on a busy dark road.

Luckily I still had the standard bulb in the car as back-up but I then had to change it back in the dark.

The non-CanBus Stop/Tail LED I used is perfect ( http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/stop-tail-led_topic8062.html ) so that's the one I'd recommend.

Good luck.

Al. Thumbs Up

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:36pm
Hi Allan, thanks for the support, I've been watching your emails on the LED upgrades with interest, and they've been the biggest motivation to changeover in the first place. Unfortunately the link you supplied it just goes to the company's website as lost link. Could you advise please?
As an aside, the fog light situation has reached another phase..
The replacement fitting arrived today, however, the very reason for ordering this in the first place ( the spring clips) were missing, it was just the "plastic" (lens and rear). I've sent an email back to the supplier about the clips, but it doesn't look too promising.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:03pm
How about this link:

That looks like the right one. Thumbs Up
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:38pm
Cheers Alan, that works!!Thumbs Up
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 3:13pm
...REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE QUANTITY TO A 'PAIR' AND THE COLOUR TO 'RED'!

Al. Wink
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 10:55am
Alan, do Autobulbs do a club discount? If so how is it "claimed"? Cheers!!
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 11:10am
Yes, they give us a discount.

Details can be found in the 'Discounts' tread shown in the 'Membership Rewards - Paid member access only' section near the bottom of the 'Home' page.

Thumbs Up
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 11:51am
Cheers Alan, you are a star!!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:03am
Hi Allan. I took your advice, and went with those tail/stop LED's and WOW, they are truly incredible!! Thanks, I shall now look to do the rest of the lights, but maybe take it a little slower and use better (sadly, more expensive) versions to get the best results. Cheers, just gotta love this forum!!
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 11:14am
Pictures pictures pictures...

PS we love you too!
Mainly found at an office chair these days
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 1:50pm
Pics will follow....just waiting for the weather to improve...hope the LEDs can last that long...

By the way Frankie......I thought we were keeping that a secret......
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 2:09pm
.....in the meantime you'll have to make do with my pictures:

The old bulb looks almost orange compared to the red of these LED's.

The original bulb looks quite pale...

...compared to the new LED.

Side view of new LED.

LOL  

Al. Wink
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:18pm
This one is great, no better on the market. Highly recommend these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-2pcs-lot-80W-1156-1157-9005-9006-H4-H7-High-Power-cree-Headlight-Led/1348588887.html
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by duncho duncho wrote:

This one is great, no better on the market. Highly recommend these: Linky

Live Link
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic