UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Genral Specs and Technical Details
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club
Thanks to our sponsor for their support

Tow Bar fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hipro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Bar fitting
    Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:57pm
Hi ive got a 2010 QQ+2 and im planning on fitting a towbar, ive had quotes for £205 for a swan neck type and £275 for a removal type. 

Looking online i can get a Witter Detachable for £179 http://www.pfjones.co.uk/qashqai-2007-2-detachable-towbar.html.

Has anyone had any experience with fitting a towbar on a QQ+2 themselves looking at the instructions it looks like you remove the bumper and then its pretty straight forward.

Any help would be appreciated. Smile
hipro View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hipro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 9:19pm

Just for anyone who decides to install a towbar, i took the plunge and ordered the towbar in my post above and i have fitted it.  If anyone needs any help or advice just ask.  It was a pretty scary dismantling my new 2010 car!!!!!! you have to remove the back bumper to fit the actual bar and to fit the electrics you have to remove the +2 back seats and the left hand side plastics in the boot.

billyboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:25pm
Hipro well done for taking the plunge on fitting the towbar youself.You saved a good bit of money doing it yourself. One thing i was wondering was how long did it take to compleat the job.
1.5 dci n-tec pearl black due 28th june (hopefully)
Tarbie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 12:09am
08 to 11: Tekna - 1.6 - Intense Blue (Gone but not forgotten)
hipro View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hipro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 5:17pm

The differences was removing the back +2 seats and Left side plastics from the boot/+2 compartment.  The only real problems i had which where not so much problems but just things to take into account where, the weight of the bar, i used bricks to hold it in place while i bolted it in place, the towbar i went for was the removal towbar fitting which is very similar to the above, once fitted it fits nice and snug under the rear bumper and looks really tidy, ill up a pic in a bit to show. 

The fitting i did over a two day period due to needing to use the car the bar it self i fitted in approx 2 hours as i was being extra carefull not to damage bumper clips etc and not to scratch the paintwork and i fitted the dedicated wire kit the next day which took approx 1hr30mins.  I didnt rush the fitting as i had all time i needed so why rush lol.

Benthebow View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benthebow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:43pm
Just fitted a towtrust bar on my 59 Qashqai +2.

It was Very easy Just mind out for the clips holding the bumper to the car by the wheel archers and just under the light clusters. You may need a screwdriver to ease the clips.

For the wiring there is a connector just where the wire exits the boot for the fog light. You can use this for the electrics.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 11:05am
Welcome Benthebow Big smile.
QQ1-2007 Fired Iron 2.0 Tekna CVT 4WD
QQ2-2010 Magnetic Red +2 2.0 Tekna CVT 4WD
QQ3-2013 Gun Metallic 2.0 Tekna CVT
happydundee View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by hipro hipro wrote:

Just for anyone who decides to install a towbar, i took the plunge and ordered the towbar in my post above and i have fitted it.  If anyone needs any help or advice just ask.  It was a pretty scary dismantling my new 2010 car!!!!!! you have to remove the back bumper to fit the actual bar and to fit the electrics you have to remove the +2 back seats and the left hand side plastics in the boot.

Do you have a side view of the tow-bar, to see how far out it protudes?

Thanks
anteg View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Benthebow Benthebow wrote:

Just fitted a towtrust bar on my 59 Qashqai +2.

It was Very easy Just mind out for the clips holding the bumper to the car by the wheel archers and just under the light clusters. You may need a screwdriver to ease the clips.

For the wiring there is a connector just where the wire exits the boot for the fog light. You can use this for the electrics.

Hipro and Benthebow can you upload a photo of your electrical connection or failing that confirm which wires go to what bulb? Ta
Bye bye Nightshade 2.0 Petrol Tekna Squashy+2, Hello Magnetic Red 1.6 Diesel Squashy+2
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
CTR Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 12:36pm
maybe a full post in the how to guides section could be done by someone who has fitted there own
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade, Detailer (CTR Detailing), AFMC, ACWC,SAC , Now a 2013 1.5dci Tekna in arctic white with stone leather interior :)
Admin Group
Admin Group
CTR Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:12pm
nice work anteg once you have it all sorted we'll get it on the guides section
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade, Detailer (CTR Detailing), AFMC, ACWC,SAC , Now a 2013 1.5dci Tekna in arctic white with stone leather interior :)
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:16pm
Great infoThumbs Up. Not to be attempted by the faint of heart me thinksErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
ljf12 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljf12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 5:46am
I have just fitted a genuine Nissan towbar, there is no mention of the clips around the tail lights in the instructions. If it wasn't for info on forums I probably would have damaged the bumper when trying to remove it.

Where  the top of the bumper meets the rear quarter panel (on the side of the car), you can insert some thin pieces of flat plastic  on the horizontal edge and they will release the clips. Measure back from the corner of the bumper adjacent to the black wheel arch mouldings, clips are at 90mm and 160mm from the corner.

To  release the clips on the vertical edge you need to remove the tail lights and lever the clip away from the body, as I fortunately discovered on forums.  I believe it would be better if you release the clips on the horizontal edge first.

The clips along the top of the bumper (accessed when hatch is open) can be released by levering the back (closest to your legs!) of the clip up.

Admin Group
Admin Group
CTR Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:14am
thanks ljf12
bazzle View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 2:52am
Fitted mine yesterday. Thanks for your pm.s, every clue was helpful.

The wiring loom just piggy backed into (plugged) the left and right taillights and ran from there to the tow bar.
Fitting the bar was a breeze.
Only issue was the tight white clips at sides of bumper skirt. A flat blade screwdriver helped here. I always put body grease on all the pop and slide in clips anywhere I pull a  car to pieces. Helps later disassembly and reduces clip breakage.

Bazzle

Broadsword View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broadsword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:32am

Looks good,

Finished mine yesterday, unfortunately I snapped the white clips on the side of the car (the 3 prong horizontal ones) does anyone know where I can get a replacement from??

Tried Nissan but they supplied a 2 prong one and say "that is what is on the car according to the parts catalog".

Is there a parts catalog online I can get a part number from or even an online supplier?

Texturner View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texturner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 8:52pm
Hi
I am still awaiting my QQ December 21st.Smile Smile Smile Smile
I am desperate  for a Tow bar,but don't want to pay £485 ++ for Nissan to fit it.
I would have no problem ( lol ) fitting the Tow bar,but its the Electrics Where I would have a problem I think.
As a believe the electrics are like a plug and play,where you connect the wire a plug and then plug it into the electrics in the car.
If I have got this correct,where can you purchase the plugs from that plugs into the car .( As clear as mud ) sorry
Tex Confused Confused Confused Confused
Kano View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:43pm
If you are looking for the plug and play kit, it alll comes prewired and is designed to only fit the Qashqai so you just need to check ebay for a Qashqai kit an feed the cables through the holes as the instructions show and plug it in.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:53pm
lovely QQ/Dualis bazzle, is the T1 similar to our tekna? (guessing by the wheels)
60 Plate 1.6 Tekna, Pearl Black.

hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:54pm
Texturner here's instructions: http://www.pfjones.co.uk/Wiring_instructions/19140504RC_NISSAN_Qashqai_ab_02-07.pdf

Also - have a look at the pfjones website - same towbars at a fraction of the cost of main dealer...they also do fitting.
Texturner View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texturner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 8:41pm
Cheers thanks very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic