UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club
Thanks to our sponsor for their support

Tyre Pressures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyre Pressures
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:34pm
Thought i'd check my pressures today....On the info inside the door it says (lightly laiden) 33PSi....when i checked em they were all 40PSi..Shocked...thats from the Dealer on pickup??? What does everyone else put theirs to, if any different to 33PSi??
2.0ntec+2, Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm
I use what is says on the door pillar Aff. About 32/33psi is fine, unless you are carrying more weight then of coarse the tire pressure would be more.
I did check ours when we got it new and like yours, our tires were way over the pressure they should have beenErmm.
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm
Thumbs Up Cheers Mo...I was wondering if the Tyre pressure gauge had gone out of Calerbration at the Local garage, cos they were all reading the Same 40PSi.....Wacko
2.0ntec+2, Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:57pm
I use the digital gauge that's on my mini tire compressorThumbs Up.
Good bit of kit to haveBig smile
Quick n easy to check your tiresThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm
I keep mine at 33, they were at 33 post dealer too, but i recall more than a handful of members saying their tyre pressure were way up in the high 30's.

Have to say my tires look just a fraction 'flat' at 33?
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:59pm
I looked cos they seemed a tad flat at 40!!!
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:12pm
Yep the tyre profile is rather deceiving innitBig smile
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:22pm
Gorgeous Wheels though!!!! Just lookin at the Car from the side and thinking the Chrome window inserts may be an option, and may even the Chrome out once ive got the side bars on.....didnt want to bling it up to much, but as CF said, ive got the Bug....LOL....only other poss. is the Chrome Boot latch cover thing, will have a look on pics...on me net book cookin dinner for the famille at the Mo....Thumbs Up
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:05pm
I always have nitrogen put in my tyres. Keeps them at a constant pressure, hot or cold.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:07pm
?..I can feel a discussion coming on???
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:11pm
LOL
OK, fire....
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:14pm
Doesn't matter what gas you have in the tyres it is still subject to;

PV=nRT

Temperature will affect the volume of a gas, if it has nowhere to expand to e.g. in a tyre, it will increase the pressure as temp increases.
FEWRIOUS View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEWRIOUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:14pm
Aff im struggling to find rear boot trunk chrome trim ordered one from AE but didn't fit & spoke to veritos & he said he got his through main dealer as for window trims Ian at AE said it will be about 8 weeks before they get them in for +2
QQ+2 1.5 DCI N-TEC MINERAL GREY. SIDE BARS, FRONT & REAR CHROME BEZELS, CHROME DOOR HANDLES, CHROME SILL PLATES, NISSAN MUDGUARDS, LEDS INSIDE & OUT, CHROME AERIAL & WIND DEFLECTORS
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:20pm
I was waiting for the Ideal Gas Law...Big smile

However, the primary reason for Nitrogen is to prevent diffusion through the walls AND as it disperses heat more efficiently, tyres don't get as hot and thus pressures dont vary a great deal from hot to cold.
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:21pm
Flippin eck...Quet on ere for weeks and me emails goin to overdrive!!!! Will have to wait Fewious then...if we put a mass order in we could speed it up.....
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Cowpers Cowpers wrote:

Doesn't matter what gas you have in the tyres it is still subject to;

PV=nRT

Temperature will affect the volume of a gas, if it has nowhere to expand to e.g. in a tyre, it will increase the pressure as temp increases.
Is this Superior intelligence or Bullsh*t or are you just a very quick Googler Cowps.. and no this is not an argument !!!???....Confused
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:27pm
pV = Nk_{B} T = nRT,\,. where n = N/NA is the number of moles of gas and R = NAk B is the gas constant

Not BS Aff....

Chemistry - called the Ideal Gas Law...as I referred to above.

Edited by hamish - 11 Apr 2011 at 8:28pm
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by hamish hamish wrote:

I was waiting for the Ideal Gas Law...Big smile

However, the primary reason for Nitrogen is to prevent diffusion through the walls AND as it disperses heat more efficiently, tyres don't get as hot and thus pressures dont vary a great deal from hot to cold.
who told you that load of cobblers Hammy?
The size of a nitrogen molecule relative to the oxygen molecule is the same so with air having approx. 18% oxygen the difference in diffusion rates might be noticable over a few thousnad years!
Heat affects the speed the molecule travels at and as a result the transfer of heat will be....over the lifetime of a main sequence star....not entirely noticable.

Hope some 'wide-boy' hasn't been selling you nitrogen!!...
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:36pm
Use 2 are just to Brian Coxy for this forum!!! Dunno what id do wid me self down the Pub with you....Probably end up reading a Magazine that is more intellectually at my level...

Viz comic

...................LOLLOL

Edited by Affman - 11 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:38pm
I've always had Nitrogen filled tyres since my Volvo...when I ran inadvertantly two tyres with N2 and two without.

It also cuts down the amount of water or moisture in the tyre from teh compressed air...and this does not heat as much.

N2 molecules ARE bigger than O2 molecules...but their molecular weight is greater.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
...meaning O2 molecular weight is greater than N2.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:40pm
  Affman don't equate intelligence with knowledge...you can be intelligent without much knowledge and vice versa.

We actually 'script' these dialogues to make it look like we are really clever...the few posts above have taken us weeks to develop...the truth of it is neither of us really knows about anything at all
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
Thats more like it.....Honesty Cowps....A traight I didnt know you had mate.....LOL
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:43pm
...lol I know nothing-a  as Manuel would say.

If we were intelligent and or knowledgable, we should be able to fly a plane...but we know that answer already....
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm

...meaning O2 molecular weight is greater than N2.

32g/mol vs 28 g/mol......this just means your tyres might weigh less at a fixed temp.  How much space do you think 22.4L will fill...about a tyre size so on that assumption;

1 x tyre + N2 = 28g
1 x tyre + mix of N2 and 18% O2 = 28.72g

This is still not going to have anything at all to do with PV=nRT  the number of molecules and the gas constant are...constant for 1mole of gas so..

then PV=T  go graph it as temp changes either P or V has to also.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm

...lol I know nothing-a  as Manuel would say.

If we were intelligent and or knowledgable, we should be able to fly a plane...but we know that answer already....

Weee..lllll technically we don't, all we know is we could not handle a simulator too well...
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:02pm
Over time on an incorrectly inflated tyre, the flexing of the tyre wall, which bears all the weight of the car will allow escaping of air and overheating.

This is the difussion or permeation (Fick's Law) and states that O2 molecules escape faster the N2 molecules. It is also dependant on the tyre size...and age.

On a new tyre I would agree on a used tyre with more flexing of the wall, O2 escapes faster due to it's flux.

So you are right....but so am I.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm

Over time on an incorrectly inflated tyre, the flexing of the tyre wall, which bears all the weight of the car will allow escaping of air and overheating.

This is the difussion or permeation (Fick's Law) and states that O2 molecules escape faster the N2 molecules. It is also dependant on the tyre size...and age.

On a new tyre I would agree on a used tyre with more flexing of the wall, O2 escapes faster due to it's flux.

No..just me..because Flick's Law is telling you if you put air in the tyre eventually it will turn to Nitrogen only......get out of that!!!!
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
Aircraft tyres are filled with nitrogenThumbs Up
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm
That's to prevent combustion due to great heats on landing.  Good try though.

Notrogen molecules are smaller than oxygen molecules due to the triple bond...so your Flicks Law is further evidence that the reverse will happen..nitrogen escapes first.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:13pm
But if an aircraft tyre does burst then as Nitrogen is inert there would be no fireWink
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Cowpers Cowpers wrote:

No..just me..because Flick's Law is telling you if you put air in the tyre eventually it will turn to Nitrogen only......get out of that!!!!
No....

Ficks Law of DIffusion and Henry's Law of solubilities deals with permeation...in this case through the walls...

How will it turn into N only? O2 plus N2 and heat is endothermic and gives 2NO.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by mohawk mohawk wrote:

But if an aircraft tyre does burst then as Nitrogen is inert there would be no fireWink

Re-read Mo..thats the point..its the reason they use N2...so it doesn't catch fire.

But its not inert..just not oxygen.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:19pm

Yes Mo, that is correct and they are primarily Nitrogen and this is for very similar reason to car tyres but at greater extremes as it is not affected by pressure as much as O2 or air mix is.

And this does not expand or contract as much....and does not heat up as much Cowpers....and this PSI is less affected.

It's also non corrosive because there is no moisture....which also weakens tyre walls....to allow air to escape...
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
Ah rightThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic