FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

upgrading interior bulbs to LED's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrading interior bulbs to LED's
    Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:52pm
If you have xenons rather than standard lights because you think the light output is better, or if you would just like a clear, crisp, white light inside your car change the standard filament bulbs for LEDs.
I guess all Qashqai's have the same interior lights (I have a Tekna +2), so this guide should be ok for everybody. Just check your original bulbs before parting with any cash.

You will need
4 x white xenon superbright LEDs
2 x 31mm 6LED festoon bulb
1 flat blade screwdriver
1 small cross-head screwdriver
Fitting time approximately 15 minutes

Check all your original lights are working before you start, else if a new bulb fails to light you will not know if it is the bulb or the fitting that is faulty. Turn off all lights for 5 minutes before changing the bulbs, as filament bulbs get hot

The front light (3 bulbs) and the rear/boot light (1 bulb) are easiest
1) Prise off the cover using a flat blade screwdriver
2) Pull out the original bulb with your fingers (it will be hot if the light has been on for some time) Image
3) Switch the socket (with no bulb in it) back on, and push in an LED bulb (it will not burn you as LED bulbs do not get hot)
Image LED bulbs only work in one direction, if the bulb does not light up, pull it out again, turn it through 180degrees and push it back in.
4) Repeat for all the other bulbs in that cluster the refit the cover (it just pushes back into place)
Note how the nearest lamp cluster in the photo above has got WHITE light, rather than the YELLOW light from all the other clusters

For the side lights
5) Prise the cluster out from the car as shown here (a flat screwdriver may help) DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE CLEAR COVER AS THIS IS SCREWED IN PLACE Image, get a long side out first & then you should be able to pull the whole fitting down Image Image
6) Remove the connector by pressing the white tab shown on the right of the photo Image
7) Undo the little screw that was hidden by the connector (RHS of the photo below) Image
8) Prise off the clear front cover using a flat screwdriver Image there is a space along the long side of the cluster that you can easily slip a flat blade into
9) You should now be able to pop off the clear cover and take out the original bulb (this will be hot if it has been on) Image
The LED bulb should be the same length as the bulb you are replacing Image
10) Connect the wire back to the cluster case but do not push it back into the roof of the car. Switch it on and fit the LED bulb
Image LED bulbs only work in one direction, if the bulb does not light up, pull it out again, turn it through 180degrees and push it back in.
11) Disconnect the wire again, push the clear plastic cover back on, tighten the tiny screw, reconnect the wire and push your new bright light back into place in the ceiling

The bulbs are available (in many colours) online from ebay and a load of other shops, mine were bought from http://www.shinyautos.com. Even though it is not yet on the site, the owner told me if there was demand he would produce a Qashqai interior light kit that would be cheaper than buying the bulbs individually. If interested email them on sales@shinyautos.com before placing an order
Tekna Squashy +2 Nightshade 2ltr petrol

Edited by craigfishin - 05 Oct 2010 at 5:45pm
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:54pm
the above post was found on the internet and was posted by anteg who i hope is ok with us learning from his knowledge in this area ,

i will be upgrading mine in the same way but in blue LED's with a blue neon footwell kit 

will post pics as i go

ps anteg please feel free to contact me if you object to us using this guide

Edited by craigfishin - 24 May 2011 at 9:09pm
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:00pm
I have ordered the white led bulbs today so they should arrive tomoz, plus i am doing the indicator and number plate bulbs too with the ones Allan decribedThumbs Up

Edited by mohawk - 04 Oct 2010 at 6:26pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:20pm
well they will certainly see us coming lol
Dion View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:08pm
Other than it looking nice, is there a practical reason why the replacement bulbs are better?
N15SAN View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N15SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

i thought we were all qashqai owners at the end of the day and here to help each other out when we can , is that not what were all about

If this is the case, why delete the link to the guide on qashqaiforum.net ? and not acknowledge the fact that it's the source of the guide. Quite a few on here decided or were contemplating joining qashqaiforum.net when Frankie was ready to let this club die but had a change of heart when he realised people would move on and re-group.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:26pm
simply because its easier to view the guide here than follow a link ,we did this with antegs tow bar guide and he was fine with us using his guide (thanks for that too anteg ) so saw no reason he would mind us using this one

if all your after is stirring up trouble ni5san then your barking up the wrong tree mate , only anteg has any right to ask for this to be removed and if he wishes that i will do so without any hard feelings and write one myself

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:30pm
ps i removed the link and tried to copy this last night but the site was down all last night and i couldnt do it till today
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:33pm
As Craig informed everybody this was from another forum, which he is also a member of, as is Anteg whose work it actually is, and this forum is about everybody helping everybody else out, I dont see any harm done, also Im sure if anyone from the other site wanted to find something out, they would search our site as well, no harm in that either.
N15SAN View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N15SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:35pm

simply because its easier to view the guide here than follow a link ,we did this with antegs tow bar guide and he was fine with us using his guide (thanks for that too anteg ) so saw no reason he would mind us using this one

if all your after is stirring up trouble ni5san then your barking up the wrong tree mate , only anteg has any right to ask for this to be removed and if he wishes that i will do so without any hard feelings and write one myself

I never asked for anything to be removed!
My point was there was no thanks to or recognition to anteg in your original post.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:36pm
and for the record the qashqaiforumnet is welcome to use any and all guides i have posted on here
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:42pm

maybe i was wrong not to put that in the original post but thats because i would not expect that myself what i do on here i do for the good of all qq owners  members and guests alike with no wish for praise

and without being rude was that not something for anteg to decide for himself ,you could have started all this for no good reason unless anteg asked you to step in???

Edited by craigfishin - 04 Oct 2010 at 5:43pm
Veritas-18 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
TUKC President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas-18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:45pm
Approve Clap
QQ+2 Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna Stone/L.mudflaps,wind deflectors,chrome mirrors, chrome rear finisher,entry guards,rear entry guard chrome rear grip cover, SAC,TUKC President,car due 1/12/10 now 1/3/11
N15SAN View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N15SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:51pm

maybe i was wrong not to put that in the original post but thats because i would not expect that myself what i do on here i do for the good of all qq owners  members and guests alike with no wish for praise

and without being rude was that not something for anteg to decide for himself ,you could have started all this for no good reason unless anteg asked you to step in???

anteg has never had any contact with me!
I'm sure he does what he does for the same reasons as yourself, It's just good manners and common courtesy to give acknowledgement when using other peoples materials.

I see you edited your original post to now give acknowledgement now, So fair plat to you.
N15SAN View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N15SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:52pm
So fair play to you
Nightshade View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 7:54pm
Great guide Craig (and Anteg), I am not sure whether I will bother changing the interior lights or not. I know the LED's make a big difference as I use them on my fish tank to great effect. But when we meet up, I am sure I'll see yours and change my mind lol. I think Mrs Nightshade is dreading these planned meets.LOL

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Dion Dion wrote:

Other than it looking nice, is there a practical reason why the replacement bulbs are better?
Just brighterCool
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:36pm
how about a fish tank in the car Nightshade ,the ultimate pimp lol
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:44am
So what exactly do i need to search for on ebay to get these bulbs, is their any key words or can you either provide the link or PM me the link please
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:01am
Depends where you want to get the bulbs from. Either by the supplier Craig is using or through the autobulbs direct and use the discount code. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:20am
eBay is cheaper but you have to wait up to 21 days for delivery from the sellers I used or auto bulbs much faster delivery as there in the uk but more expensive ,so it's up to you really ,if you want the link to my sellers just ask
anteg View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by N15SAN N15SAN wrote:

anteg has never had any contact with me!
I'm sure he does what he does for the same reasons as yourself, It's just good manners and common courtesy to give acknowledgement when using other peoples materials.

I see you edited your original post to now give acknowledgement now, So fair plat to you.

craigfishin I have no problem you copying this guide onto here. As you said I, if I was bothered I would have put on watermarks. The only bit chopped out that I would have liked left in was the comment about me getting my bulbs from shinyautos.com - as invariably people ask "where did you buy the bulbs?"

N15SAN, thanks for the concern. Just for the record I have no idea who you are so I wouldn't have asked you or anybody else to make a comment about qashqaiform.net or qashqaiclub.co.uk on my behalf

I have had pm's to both site owners in the past basically stating that in my opinion the main body of forums should be free as that allows anybody to try and ask questions about the car they may buy. I choose to share my time creating guides for free and because of this I will only post my guides on qashqaiform.net (but I have no problem with people copying links as long as I am given credit for my work and that both forum owners are ok with that)

This forum is long established & has a lot of members, I chose to join because at the time it was the only qashqai forum I could find. It was instrumental in my decision to go for the 2litre petrol rather than the 2litre diesel. I have read lots of interesting posts here, and I hope I have been able to give some people some useful information in exchange. The other forum is new so understandably has very few members, it will grow and hopefully the "competition" will drive both sites to greater things. Thanks Digi & PR07HET for all your hard work

Back on post. You should all upgrade your interior LEDs as it is cheap, makes the car much brighter at night & looks good Cool

Edited by anteg - 05 Oct 2010 at 5:32pm
Bye bye Nightshade 2.0 Petrol Tekna Squashy+2, Hello Magnetic Red 1.6 Diesel Squashy+2
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:41pm
thanks anteg your a gent ,and yes your guides have been very useful mate, i must have missed the shinyautos bit but i am completely happy to add that mate

i'll go and recheck the post see what i cut off 

hope mine looks as good as yours when the bulbs arrive buddy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:46pm
i seemed to have chopped the top off too anteg  lol

all there now mate
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:48pm
Glad you let you view known Anteg, and thanks for sharing your how-to with this forum as it is much appreciated with all QQ owners no matter what site they belong too, I'm sure the other forum use this site to try to find answers to Qs they have which is fair to all. 

Edited by HarryN-TEC - 05 Oct 2010 at 5:54pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 6:17pm
if you wish to change all the bulbs in a tekna like mine you need :

2 x 31mm led festoon bulbs for above passenger doors

7 x led 501  t10 interior bulbs : 3 for main interior lights(by the rear view mirror) ,1 for boot , 2 for footwell lights and 1 for glove box

Edited by craigfishin - 10 Oct 2010 at 2:26pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:09pm
What the cost for the bulbs Craig?
Nightshade View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:16pm

Now your talking fella, scratches chin and wonders how to do it.LOL

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by HarryN-TEC HarryN-TEC wrote:

What the cost for the bulbs Craig?

they are about a fiver a pair harry ,but i did a deal with them and bought 10 although i only needed 6 501's ,for the main bulbs it was about £20 then i bought 2 cathode neon blue tubes to boost the footwell lighting and they were £12.99

Edited by craigfishin - 29 Nov 2010 at 7:58pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
Easy....get a bigger fishtank and park QQ in it.....sorted......LOL
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:09pm
There's additional information here regarding changing to LEDs along with the glove box, boot, front turn indicators and rear number plate lights:

Edited by allan40alt - 05 Oct 2010 at 8:11pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:26pm

thanks allan

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:08pm

th
i will be upgrading mine in the same way but in blue LED's with a blue neon footwell kit and a multicolour underbody kit too

will post pics as i go

ps anteg please feel free to contact me if you object to us using this guide

EEEEEEEK!!!        Chav -mobile     WinkBig smile
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
GSX600FMAN View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 2:15pm
After reading this post earlier this week I ordered various festoon (31mm) and T10 led's and 1 pair has arrived today.
The LED's give a whiter light, consume less power and therefore produce very little heat. Beware that the front centre 3 light light cover pulls straight down. Do not pry one end first, see my 'unwatermarked picture' Wink picture. Also the T10 bulbs here have their connector end in line with the car (front to back) knowing this may make it easier for you to pull out. To reduce risk of breaking bulb and 'glassing' your fingers or thumb, use a small piece of cloth, leather, chamois to get a grip to pull out.

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 06 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
Ordered QQ+2 Tekna 1.5 black on 20/4/10 expected 10/7/10. Collected on 19/7/10
AlleyCat View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlleyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Nightshade Nightshade wrote:

Now your talking fella, scratches chin and wonders how to do it.LOL

Careful guys,

Look what happens when you take the concept too far..

http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp-content/upload/fishtankcar.jpg

Might need to invest in some nissan gills?

Edited by craigfishin - 06 Oct 2010 at 2:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic