Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upgrading interior bulbs to LED's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

did the glove box this morning ,looks good ,bit more work involved as to do it properly you need to remove the glove box but still only took 10 minutes ,you can still do it without removing the glove box if you have a pair of long nose pliers but i didnt want to risk breaking the bulb and popping the fuse

glove box only held in by 7 screws and a couple of clips  

I used this method to save removing the glove box:

Quote:

Glove Box bulb now replaced.

I didn't like the yellowy light so I've replaced it with one of these:

The glove box bulb came out easy, but it is a very tight fit and my fingers couldn't grip it. 

I peeled off about 200mm of standard insulation tape, leaving it attached to the roll.

I stuck the end of it onto the side of the bulb and, keeping my finger and thumb on the tape and bulb, gently pulled the tape with the other hand.

Out it slid. Big smile

Replacing it was a bit fiddly.  I had to use a mirror and torch to see the angle of entry**  and I then attached the new bulb onto the end of the PVC tape, as an aid to insert it.  I attached the bulb to the tape so that it was at the same angle as the bulb socket, about a 45deg turn.  

It was almost the reverse of extracting it, except I used the tape to hold the bulb at the correct angle and present it to the socket; then gently pushed the end of the bulb into place and peeled off the tape.  Easy-peasy.

Great result, nice white light, instead of the old, dull looking yellowy bulb. Big smile

This method saved me having to remove the entire glove box in order to access the bulb socket, which un-plugs from the top. 

I've ordered an LED for it, but I might just leave this one in place as the glove box seldom gets used;  but when it does it's a big improvement. Thumbs Up

**TIP:  It may help if you cut off the old bulb after removal and leave it stuck to the tape so that you can see the angle to attach the new bulb.

NB: This method may also help when removing the front map light bulbs as they are also very awkward. 
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:18pm

my daughter donated it from the inside of a jewellery case lol , i just scored it with a knife and snapped the pieces off

As our kids have long since flown the nest, daughters' jewellery boxes are a thing of the past so I had a look for an alternative idea and found one that works well. As the black covers on the footwell lamps have curved interiors, I applied some thin double-sided tape and topped that with a strip of aluminium cooking foil. The reflection might not be quite so good as a mirror but it is certainly adequate.
The glove box though is a different matter because the bulb is recessed in a sort of box and the bulb points backwards (towards the passenger).
I've tried Alan's suggestion with sticky tape but the bulb is resisting all of my efforts to remove it. I think I will have to resort to removing the glovebox and to use one of the 90 LEDs (assuming the orientation of the bulb will then shine the light downwards and not sideways).
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:47pm

good idea with the tinfoil brian

2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:52pm
still waiting for the festoon bulb for th rear passenger area but this is the effect i get in the front when i open the door

2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:54pm
Could you take another one..to show how the blue contrasts with the dashboard orange?  I think it must look pretty sweet, but as you've done it we can see before we try?
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:04pm
coming right up lol ,give me 5 minutes
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:09pm
OK..thx (note to self....post made at 10:04..he has until 10:09)

You're late...LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Cowpers - 11 Oct 2010 at 10:10pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:14pm
sorry got distracted watching south park lol

here you go

Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:15pm
Just the one word....

Thumbs UpYYYEESSSS!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:15pm
bit rushed but i'll take some proper ones when the last 2 bulbs arrive
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:18pm
OK..another question....the 3 map reading lights...can they still (post upgrade) be used for map reading?

Just preparing the ground for wife approval.

Edited by Cowpers - 11 Oct 2010 at 10:18pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:20pm
yeah there even brighter , just blue instead of white
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:22pm
Looks good Craig Thumbs Up

As a matter of intrest is that massively brighter than the standard footwell lights?  I cant say I've actually been in mine in the dark. The missus said she saw them light up in an underground carpark but didnt pay much attention.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:46pm
cheers mate

yeh they are quite a bit brighter ,unless it was pitch black i never even noticed the standard ones ,its just a faint glow
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:49pm
Ahh right, I had a feeling thats how they'd probably be.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:08pm
last 2 bulbs arrived today ,fitting easy ,look good ,all fnished now, will take pics tonight
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:12pm
has anyone swapped the lights above the rear registration plate yet? and if so what is the type of bulb (part no etc) i would need to search for?
Now the onwer of a Cayman Blue 2010 Model 2.0dci Tekna QQ Blue Led's and orange sill plates!
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 5:24pm
Pic of interior Led lights on the +2. Much brighter than the old ones Cool
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:55pm
much better
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:58pm

last 2 bulbs arrived today ,fitting easy ,look good ,all fnished now, will take pics tonight

I been sitting here all day waiting for you to post here.....when you do its "Much better"!!!??Cry  Where's teh lights???LOL

Edited by Cowpers - 14 Oct 2010 at 7:59pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:02pm
only got in a while ago and shattered will do the pics as soon as i get sa chance mate
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:04pm
Big smile I was just joking...relax mate.................so about 5 mins??????
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
lol
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Cowpers Cowpers wrote:

OK..another question....the 3 map reading lights...can they still (post upgrade) be used for map reading?

Just got my QQ on Tuesday night, quick question should the 2 lights above the passengers doors come on when the doors are open? should they come on if i only open the drivers door or does it have to be the actual door itself on the rear passenger side?, and if so what position does the rocker switch have to be in to achieve all lights coming on?
Now the onwer of a Cayman Blue 2010 Model 2.0dci Tekna QQ Blue Led's and orange sill plates!
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by mohawk mohawk wrote:

Yep i have changed ours to Led. see link.
also what colour did you use for your registration plates? i would like to use blue but is there any legalities involved ie do they have to be yellowish or white?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:26pm
number plate must be white (shame)

all lights should come on when any door is opened ,switch should be in the middle position
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by s30jok s30jok wrote:

Originally posted by Cowpers Cowpers wrote:

Just got my QQ on Tuesday night, quick question should the 2 lights above the passengers doors come on when the doors are open? should they come on if i only open the drivers door or does it have to be the actual door itself on the rear passenger side?, and if so what position does the rocker switch have to be in to achieve all lights coming on?
The rocker switches for the lights you mentioned should be set in the central position for all the interior lights on the back doors and the front map reading lightsThumbs Up. Then all the lights will come on when you open a doorThumbs Up

Edited by mohawk - 14 Oct 2010 at 9:33pm
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:32pm
okay thanks for the info will order some whites then
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:58am
Originally posted by s30jok s30jok wrote:

has anyone swapped the lights above the rear registration plate yet? and if so what is the type of bulb (part no etc) i would need to search for?

Please see original thread regarding upgrading standard bulbs to LED's and scroll down to see type and photo:

Quote:
I decided to use them in place of the blue glass W5W 501 Xenon I had previously fitted.

1.5W each against the standard 5W each."

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 2:00pm

Edited by allan40alt - 15 Oct 2010 at 8:01am
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:17am
All bulbs have arrived..now all a need is a car to put them in!
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:33am
Wont be too long now cowpers.....chin up.....

Wonder if they are blue led bulbs you can have lots of fun with them...think solar ashtray.... LOL
Kashmir View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Daaahhhling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
... less than a week to go Cowps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hug + a few days to install the S Aschenbecker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tricky that Confused
Tapir: Acenta 2l petrol 4wd faded denim left drive from 20/09/2010 to 18/11/2013
Beetroot: Acenta 1.5dci magnetic red steering on the wrong .. oh wait ..right hand side from 28/05/2014
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 1:51pm
LOL
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 11:30pm
hey, can anyone tell me,
would i be able to change the interior bulbs to leds that werent blue or white
seem to be only able to find these two on autobulbs

craig can you send me a link to the 31mm festoons you bought and the others if possible lol
cheers mate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic