UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

USB Flash Drive Music Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Flash Drive Music Question
    Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:06pm
Hi, This is my first post so assume it should go here in First question forum? Apologies if not.

I have a 2011 n-tec and have used the USB port for music since I got the car in Feb however I have just purchased a 64gb flash drive and am having problems. I've tried formatting the flash drive to NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT and I can't get the QQ to see my music. I reduced the file count down to just one mp3 to make sure it wasn't because I had too many files on there but no luck. The closest I got was that I was able to choose USB using the AUX button but the circle just kept spinning (like a loading animation). The rest of ym attempts it ahsn't detected the USB at all. So my question is - What format should it be in? And is there anything else that may be stopping it from working.

It is a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I checked before hand on forums and saw people had used USB 3 and 64gb drives before so thought i'd be ok...

Thanks!
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:31pm
According to the Connect user manual, the Connect recognizes either mp3 or wma... As to the size of the USB stick/drive the manual states:

Folder Levels USB Max No. Folders: 5000, Max No. Files: 15,000: Size Limit: 100GB
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:12pm
I'm rubbish with all this stuff, but seem to remember someone saying the system didn't like the 64gb drive ?

I'm sure one of the guys will help you out.
But for now Welcome to the UK's biggest Qashqai Club and owners forum.

Heres a few pointers to help make using the forum easier, just click on the blue quick links.

Please make sure you have read the club rules, this will help make your use of the forum much easier : ClubRules.
If you need any help, feel free to contact one of our great team who will assist in any way they can .

Administrators :
PR07HET
Craigfishin

Moderator group :
Tiffany
G5 Boy
Gadget
Affman

The club is run on contributions by members, which allows the site to be advertising free with all money raised going toward running costs, web fees, club meets, competition prizes and various charities.
By contributing to the running costs of the club (£6 or £10 including a club window sticker) you get full access to post and start new threads anywhere on the forum plus access to discounts from our great selection of retailers and other great sections currently unavailable to you. If you want to contribute to the club, please see here : How to contribute.
No spamming is allowed , any advertising must be agreed with admin in advance. If you are interested in adding your company to our discount section please contact Craigfishin

The forum is a wealth of information. Please use the search option before starting new threads to save creating multiple threads on the same subject.

Thanks for joining, we hope you find all you need to know about your Qashqai and make a few new friends in the process. We have a great bunch of members on here, who all are willing to help if they can.

We also have club meets and excursions if you are interested. Please see link below from our visit to the Nissan Sunderland Plant to see the Qashqai being built : Nissan Sunderland meet.
Or our very successful joint meet with the Juke Owners Club, Juke Owners Group, Cube Owners Club and the Note Owners Club. With Nissan event's team in attendance with limited edition cars on display : Annual Wicksteed meet.

Once again we would like to welcome you to the Qashqai Club and look forward to getting to know you and we hope you enjoy your time here.
Lynn
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
wimp slayer View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:59pm
Thanks Tiffany. I thought I read that someone had used a 64gb... can anyone else confirm or deny if this is compatible? If not, what max size does it support?
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 1:44pm
Oh mp3's or mp4's
That can make a difference

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Oct 2015 at 2:17pm
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 2:08pm
Did you import the music from iTunes .
?
If you did they will be in AAC format not MP3 so won't work

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Oct 2015 at 2:10pm
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 2:43pm
No I copied them on. They are mp3s only.
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 2:56pm
Well that's me stumped.... Sorry
Maybe something very easy in settings. I bet one of the guys will offer a solution

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Oct 2015 at 2:59pm
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 3:37pm
Maybe the USB flash drive is plain and simple kaput.... Once had USB stick which worked flawlessly with any computer but wasn't recognized by the Connect...
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 3:59pm
Oh that's not good. Argos might take it back I suppose. Can anyone confirm if they've managed to get a 64gb working in a 2011 QQ? (Or same version connect) 
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 5:29pm
Shrubby just tried a 64gb stick. Formatted NTFS... Mp 3's it worked just fine.

Oh he's just said he had to press the AUX button several times to get it working
Now he's going to put different files on to see if that works

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Oct 2015 at 5:30pm
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 8:54pm
Thank you, that's very kind. Something must be up with mine then :( what make/model did shrubby try?
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 9:29pm
Shrubby/hubby used verbatim 64gig usb3
He quite like the new name I've given him
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 11:46pm
The manual I'm sure stated 32gb max but I know people have used bigger, I guess in that instance it will come down to make/quality of the stick - not meaning best brand or most expensice will be better, when it comes down to usb sticks it can be pot luck & what wont work in 1 connect may well work in another.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:22am
Haha, ok thanks I'll have to look out f0or a verbatim one. Maybe there's something wrong with mine :(
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:23am
And thanks Ericos. I'll have to try some other brands... I'll post what I find works and what doesn't.
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:24pm
I've occasionally come across USB drives where they've lost their partition table. They're still readable on PCs and Macs, but devices can't read them.
Use the disk manager in Windows to check.
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Tiffany Tiffany wrote:

Did you import the music from iTunes .
?
If you did they will be in AAC format not MP3 so won't work

I use iTunes - you can set it to .mp3
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 1:19pm
Yeh I know, only mentioned it incase op didn't lol
JayPower View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
How are you transferring the music to your USB. Mine would not work when I first tried. After a few different attempts It started working. 
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimp slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 12:26pm
I'm just copying and pasting / dragging and dropping the music... Haven't got around to trying a smaller one yet.
Qashqai2000 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 4:13pm
Have also got one of those Ultra Fit SanDisk 64 GB drives but it is not working on my QQ Tekna 2011. 

Probably have to go down to 32GB. Could a firmware update from Nissan sort out the issue?

Thanks

Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 4:32pm
Hi qashqai2000, seems the flash drives are a bit hit and miss with the Nissan systems

But I'd like to bid you a big warm Welcome to the UK's biggest Qashqai Club and owners forum.

Heres a few pointers to help make using the forum easier, just click on the blue quick links.

Please make sure you have read the club rules, this will help make your use of the forum much easier : ClubRules.
If you need any help, feel free to contact one of our great team who will assist in any way they can .

Administrators :
PR07HET
Craigfishin

Moderator group :
Tiffany
G5 Boy
Gadget
Affman

The club is run on contributions by members, which allows the site to be advertising free with all money raised going toward running costs, web fees, club meets, competition prizes and various charities.
By contributing to the running costs of the club (£6 or £10 including a club window sticker) you get full access to post and start new threads anywhere on the forum plus access to discounts from our great selection of retailers and other great sections currently unavailable to you. If you want to contribute to the club, please see here : How to contribute.
No spamming is allowed , any advertising must be agreed with admin in advance. If you are interested in adding your company to our discount section please contact Craigfishin

The forum is a wealth of information. Please use the search option before starting new threads to save creating multiple threads on the same subject.

Thanks for joining, we hope you find all you need to know about your Qashqai and make a few new friends in the process. We have a great bunch of members on here, who all are willing to help if they can.

We also have club meets and excursions if you are interested. Please see link below from our visit to the Nissan Sunderland Plant to see the Qashqai being built : Nissan Sunderland meet.
Or our very successful joint meet with the Juke Owners Club, Juke Owners Group, Cube Owners Club and the Note Owners Club. With Nissan event's team in attendance with limited edition cars on display : Annual Wicksteed meet.

Once again we would like to welcome you to the Qashqai Club and look forward to getting to know you and we hope you enjoy your time here.
Lynn
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 4:41pm
Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for the warm welcome, the forum is indeed a great source of knowledge. Just got my 20111 QQ last week and already had a nasty shock by Nissan dealer :)

There is always a limit set by the device firmware and I guess those who had their firmware updated with a recent service have a good chance of the limit being increased. Lets see if anyone has that done recently and can confirm the usb limit.

Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:27pm
Well I do know firmware updates can cure a multitude of problems......

Latest is D302

Check the software version by following the steps:
1. press and hold SETUP button
2. simultaneously turn ZOOM knob counter clockwise to 9 o'clock
3. now turn the knob clockwise to 3 o'clock
4. and again turn it back (counter clockwise) to 9 o'clock
...follow the screen to
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:31pm
According to the Connect user manual, the Connect recognizes either mp3 or wma... As to the size of the USB stick/drive the manual states:

Folder Levels USB Max No. Folders: 5000, Max No. Files: 15,000: Size Limit: 100GB
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:39pm
Just been reading d204 is te latest??

*Have the radio on.
*Hold the setup button
*While holding this button turn the knob underneath it 90 degrees counterclockwise
*Turn it 180 clockwise
*Turn it back 180 counterclockwise. (hint use the lines on the knob to do this)

Then select Version and that will show the version should be C0xx

To get out of the menu simply turn off the head unit.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 7:45pm
Done the process and got the numbers below

Software 0225_100623
Hardware 031
BT Module 705AC756

Which one is correct number?
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Qashqai2000 Qashqai2000 wrote:

Done the process and got the numbers below

Software 0225_100623
Hardware 031
BT Module 705AC756

Which one is correct number?

Sorry I don't know. I just had the above saved
Tiff
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:10pm
Um... Qashqai2000 has a 2011 modell Qashqai - a J10 - all the software versions you state are for the Connect II (or III) built into the J11 .... Confused

....ust got my 20111 QQ last week a...

Edited by Udo2009 - 29 Oct 2015 at 8:11pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

Um... Qashqai2000 has a 2011 modell Qashqai - a J10 - all the software versions you state are for the Connect II (or III) built into the J11 .... Confused

....ust got my 20111 QQ last week a...

Hi Udo2009. Is this a bad or a good thing?
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:17pm
Well... it's insofar a good thing that you dont't need any firmware updates... They ought to have been done by the dealer / the garage long ago. Also, the information from the manual is valid:

Folder Levels USB Max No. Folders: 5,000, Max No. Files: 15,000: Size Limit: 100GB

Now comes the "tricky" part.... the 64GB stick is right within the limits of the size allowed by the Connect.  Do you have more than 15,000 files on the stick, or more thatn 5,000 folders?

If there are hidden files or folders, they count, too.

Then there's the problem, that there are sticks which the Connect just plain rejects - they don't work with the Connect even if they are working perfectly well with all your computer equipment. Have had such a stick myself.

When I copy music (mp3) onto my 32 GB stick I afterwards make sure, to remove each and every hidden file from the stick, which isn't a mp3-file or a folder.  So far the 32GB stick works flawlessly with the Connect.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:16pm
As above -   no updates for a connect in a 2011 model
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:27pm
Ah well there ya go
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:10am
Thank you Udo2009.

I have only one single mp3 file on the stick to test it and have removed all files and formatted it in exFAT and in NTFS but still no luck. The system just not detecting it. On the specification it says USB 3.0 and it is version 2.0 backward compatible so that should not be an issue. 

Do you use the SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB stick? 

Probably need to to change it to 32GB of Argos would agree to that.

On the firmware version, isn't Software 0225_100623 mean it has been released on 2010.06.23? 

How could they release a firmware that early for a 2013 car model? or this is the date applied to the car?

Thanks

Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 2:35pm
When I remember correctly the discussions in the German Qashqai forum, the Connect does not work with USB 3.0 sticks... they have to be USB 2.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic