Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > QASHQAI+2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

USB not charging iPhone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB not charging iPhone
    Posted: 18áAprá2014 at 12:09pm
Quickie - but the USB in the QQ isn't charging iphone 5 is this known or maybe broken USB etc thanks
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2014 at 1:23pm
Does it say its charging but the % is not rising, or does nothing change when you plug it in?

HAve you used this USB cable elsewhere, such as a 240v USB wall charger? Although unusual, it could be a data only cable

I am guessing the iPhone charges elsewhere?

Have you tried to charge anything else in the socket?

Have you closely inspected the socket for damage. If you are not the first owner, then the socket could have been damaged by somebody trying to force in a device the wrong way around.
2014 Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T Tekna
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2014 at 1:35pm
if you're running a sat nav application then no, the phone won't charge. The supply from the USB port is not enough to charge and run sat nag at the same time. Mine just about stays at the same level of charge. If you're just plugged in to the USB and playing music etc. it should charge fine unless what Splank suggests is the case.
i owe, i owe, so off to work i go | 2014 1.6dCi Tekna 4x4 in Pearl Black
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2014 at 4:20pm
Hi guys, apologies - got it sorted - was a faulty lead - actually 2 faulty leads, bought new leads and all works like a dream but thanks again for your advice - Ronan
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2014 at 5:02pm
Yes, just for reference for others who may come across this thread, the USB socket is limited to 0.5amps. This is the standard USB spec.

Correct phone chargers can provide much more, generally between 2-4amps.

Sometimes, the cable supplied with a phone charger will ONLY be a charger cable, hence connecting it to a computer will result in the phone being charged but will not allow you to transfer data.

If its a data cable as well, the phone will send a signal back to a charger unit to tell the charger it can take more than 0.5amps, other times there is a trick that's done with the USB cable and 2 of the pins are shorted (if I remember correctly) to force the charger to deliver a higher ampage.

In most cases where the phone is being actively used, connecting to a 0.5amp socket will result in the battery either staying at the same charge, but more often than not it just slows down the depletion of the battery. This can actually be detrimental to the device over long term as the phones charge circuit and battery get quite hot. I have often had issues with cheap chargers not supplying enough and the phone goes into overheat mode after about an hour of use (esp when wedged in a cradle attached to a windscreen in summer using satnav!!). If the phone then its possible to charge the device but at an extremely slow rate
2014 Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T Tekna
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áSepá2014 at 11:56pm
Thanks splank for the detailed info.
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic