UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Petrol Heads > 2.0i Petrol
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Utterly appalling!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Utterly appalling!
    Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 11:07am
There's no other way to describe it! The consumption figure you see below (12.6l/100km) equates to 22.42mpg and that is the average for the first 6500km and is the poorest figure out of all the 2.0l petrol Qashqais using the same monitoring web site.
I know that most of my driving is local but come on - that is pretty awful. I already questioned the high consumption figure with Nissan Belgium and they dismissed it out of hand.
I love my Qashqai but ...

Edited by brianmf - 09áAprá2011 at 1:34pm
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 11:17am
Yikes!
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 1:37pm
Actually, I see another owner (in Germany) has managed to top my consumption figure with 12.71l/100km (22.23mpg).

Edited by brianmf - 09áAprá2011 at 5:55pm
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 2:34pm
The fuel consumption for the 'urban cycle' is shown as 27.2mpg (10.4) for the 2WD 2L CVT and only 26.4mpg (10.7) for the 4WD CVT.

It does of course depend on the weight of the load being carried as well.

I get an average 36mpg in my 2WD CVT 2.0L, but that is a mix of driving (steadily I might add)  mainly in the 'extra urban' sector.

If I did more 'extra urban' then I'm certain I would get a figure closer to 40mpg.

More 'urban sector' would see it drop to around 30mpg.

Edited by allan40alt - 09áAprá2011 at 2:37pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
kevykat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 4:42pm
kinda have to expect it with a 2.0 petrol and the weight of the car. I have a 4 year old Tekna same as yours and my MPG aint good. although is was only getting around 35-38mpg with my 1.6 diesel pug 207
Qashqai Tekna 2.0 Petrol , Private plate, side bars, 8 piece chrome grille, chrome door handles, chrome fog inserts front and rear, LED interior lights, K & N air filter

Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 6:00pm
My 2.0L +2, 2w drive is showing 30mpg at the mo, and thats mostly urban,....am working out figure manually and will have the result in a week or so to compare, but whatever, think it looks better than my 1.8 zafira, which i got on avge- 25mpg.....Thumbs Up
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2011 at 6:05pm
[QUOTE=allan40alt]The fuel consumption for the 'urban cycle' is shown as 27.2mpg (10.4) for the 2WD 2L CVT and only 26.4mpg (10.7) for the 4WD CVT.
(/QUOTE]

That's what troubles me most. It's only my wife or myself on board and we are not heavyweights. Most of our driving is local but we also do the occasional longer run on the motorway. We're not heavy-footed either and, since realising the thirstiness of this vehicle early on, we have made a particular effort to be light-footed. Our last car was a 2.0l diesel and our average with that was 6.9l/100km for exactly the same driving conditions.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2011 at 11:46pm
Well, you appear to be getting about 4 mpg less than the manufacturer claimed you would - that's what you usually get with a car when you're not actively driving it for economy.

If you want to improve it then you could try turning off the air conditioning when you're not using it (makes a surprising difference), slowing down by 10mph on open roads and making sure your tyres are fully pumped up - try to adopt a "flowing" driving style that means you coast up the junctions and then gentle accelerate away - rather than braking up to them, stopping, and pulling away from a standstill.

As far as the car goes, make sure your thermostat is opening at the correct temperature and the car isn't failing to completely warm up. I recently checked out my fiances car using a 15 pound lead OBDII lead from eBay and discovered it never got to full temperature. Since replacing the thermostat it's doing 10mpg better...

I can't help feeling, though, that if economy is your thing, then a larger engined, automatic SUV may be an odd choice.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2011 at 10:39am
As i have said before in other posts. The first QQ 2L petrol CVT 4wd we had did manage to accomplish just over 39 MPG at one point. Since then we have had 2 QQ's which have been the +2 4wd version but the engine size and the CVT box are the same. I did reset the MPG on the present +2 twice just to see how the MPG is going. It dropped to 25/26 MPG but now it is back up to 29.7 and i do expect it will go a bit higher but not much as the +2 is heavier than the standard QQ. We do about 250 miles per week and of that 140 Miles are on the motorway. I do try to watch the mpg bar to keep the white bar higher. This weekend we had 3 people in the car plus cases and gear that we take to the caravan and the extra weight did not seem to effect the mpg too much plus we had the a/c on over this weekend. The car was serviced last week after doing 10600 over the twelve month period that we have had it from new, so maybe the service will help slightly with the mpg.

Edited by mohawk - 11áAprá2011 at 10:39am
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2011 at 10:44am
Thanks for your comments 2F2B. I did work in the vehicle testing environment for 15 years so I'm pretty familiar with economical driving procedures. Everything seems to be functioning correctly and I am not alone in thinking that this particular version of the QQ is exceptionally thirsty. That in combination with primarily local driving seems to give us a particularly raw deal.
I did turn the A/C off for the winter and it made little if any difference.
The reason for the choice of vehicle is historical - we had a 2.0l diesel Touran for 5 years and the QQ looked like an attractive alternative. However, the dealer warned us off the diesel engine due to the DPF problems. I knew that meant higher fuel consumption but not this much higher. Our overall consumption with the Touran was 6.9l/100km (40.94mpg) in the same driving conditions. 
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2011 at 8:04pm

If i'm honest it's one of the few things about my QQ that I find disappointing. I have the 2.0 DCi Auto 4x4 & i'm lucky if I can get 35mpg out of a tank. I've never seen the DPF problems, mind you I live in the country and commute 30 miles each way to work.

If I were replacing the car tomorrow I would shop around but probably buy another QQ much like my current once, except a manual gearbox.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2011 at 9:10pm
As it happens, I had to take my daughter and her husband to the airport today - a 70km round trip and all motorway. The indicated average consumption for that trip was 9.4l/100km and that is about the best I've had for any single tank. Of course, 120kph is not the most economical speed but the consumption still rates as awful in my book.

Edited by brianmf - 12áAprá2011 at 10:40pm
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2012 at 7:12am
I hope you're not using the MPG number on the display for these calculations.

I just did a more or less "proper" test of my consumption and yesterday I refueled 53.5 litres and the trip thing said 673,5 km since last refuel when I reset it. So that's an average consumption of 7.9 l/100km, and in your miles per gallon it's about 36. So I'm pretty astonished as this is in fact better than my manual 2.0 petrol I had before if I remember correctly. And this is mixed driving going to work and back; there are quite a few bits with start/stops and accelerating, not to mention the bloody traffic jams if I leave home too late, but also a nice stretch of 50 mph steady driving. On longer trips this will easily hit 40 MPG no troubles. Not that I'd want to get rid of my CVT anyway because it's soooo nice.

Anyway what's funny is that the trip computers calculated consumption was showing 9.3 l/100km!!!!! So anyone using their cars display for getting MPG numbers, just plain don't! In my particular case its a 15% error and that's not usable for anything.

edit
Just thought I'd mention I've had 4WD selector set to 2WD for almost all of that distance. It probably makes a difference.

Edited by RayBanJockey - 16áNová2012 at 7:24am

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2012 at 10:07am
I have reset the MPG indicator several times now but, overall, it's not far off the true figure. The overall average noted at the bottom of each of my postings is the summation of all of my fuelings as logged on the German web site Spritmonitor.
The killer in my case is that 90% of my journeys are local shopping trips and they seem to average out at 14.5l/100km (19.5mpg). On the other hand, if I reset the onboard indicator before making a long trip on a motorway, I get average readings around 7.5l/100km (almost 40mpg). That really illustrates the difference between local and long-distance consumption.
My previous vehicle was a 2l diesel automatic (VW Touran) and that had an overal average of 6.9l/100km (41mpg). There was relatively little difference between local and long-distance driving. However, considering my low mileage (less than 5000miles per annum) the additional cost of buying and running a diesel could not be justified.

Edited by brianmf - 19áNová2012 at 10:56pm
qasha18 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qasha18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2012 at 10:40pm
I have lost count of amount of times I have resetting mine! my most recent it went up to 43.5 then 10 minutes it dropped back below 35.7? it was due to go in last monday for a service but they rang to cancel it due illness? so its re-booked I am far from happy with the MPG[ urban proof my footCensored as well with the dealership as put motability customers to the back of service sheet as they prefer cash paying customers and come first over the motability customers and its a no win situThumbs Down they are picking it up but if I take there they allow me a Micra but I don't like these and unsuitable for my back!Ouch
Magnetic red QQ Acenta1.5 dci has now gone to auction?. ,I have now picked up my Volvo V40 D2 Cross Country Lux.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic