UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.5 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

VERY Poor mpg!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigc218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:40pm
hi craig,

I must be missing something, forgive my stupidness, but where is the white bar?

Col
2009 1.5 dci qashqai tekna, black leather, 18"black alloys, panoramic roof, sat nav,
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:58pm
when you have the display showing the avg mpg there is a white bar that constantly moves up and down when you drive , this is the instant mpg reading 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Blownupdolly View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blownupdolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 8:07pm
The bar moves from left to right on your dash. As you are driving it moves back and forth all the time. There is also a diamond shape on it which is signifying your current average. I play a constant game when i am driving to keep the white line past the diamond as much as possible so i can increase my average MPG. Very fed up the last week or so as i am not winning the battle!
2013 QQ+2 360 1.5DCI Storm White
bigc218 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigc218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:40pm
I'll check tomorrow. Is this only on the facelift? We have the pre one.....
2009 1.5 dci qashqai tekna, black leather, 18"black alloys, panoramic roof, sat nav,
Mart1965 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mart1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:20pm
In comparison to my last car, a Honda civic ivtec 1.8 which averaged 46 mpg weekly mileage and 50-52 mpg on longer runs. The QQ is currently running an average weekly run of 49.5 mpg and only goes up when I drive further just did extra 100 miles this weekend and reached 52.5, so looking forward to mid 60`s when travel on hols. Smile
2012 1.5dci NTEC+ cafe-latte, Blinged up, club sticker, brake-light sticker, Flip-keyfob,Bonnet guard, Blue LEDS
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by bigc218 bigc218 wrote:

Fraid so Cry

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:42am
I had a long 200 mile motorway trip at weekend, so played around with the mpg display, and I've discovered some interesting things.

I filled up and at the station decided to reset all the counters knowing I was going on a motorway trip and wanting to check the mpg.  It took a couple of miles , few traffic lights, etc, to get to the motorway so the mpg was stuck about 35mpg till I got there.  Once on, decided not to push the revs too hard so cruised in 6th about 70mph.  The mpg crept up to 49ish but then just stayed there, was occasionally dropping to 48, back to 49 and so on. Left it like this for 30 miles and it still said 49.  

So whilst driving I reset all the counters again.  This time the mpg went to 69 initially before dropping to about 58, then stayed at 58 for most of the journey.  Interestingly, when I got off the motorway and did a few miles to get to my destination it stayed at 58.  Even after the weekend there, it was 58.

On the return journey home, I reset all the counters at approx the same place on the motorway, so when I got home it was saying about 58.   This was therefore the exact same journey as the initial one that said 49, just in reverse.

Seems to me like whatever you are doing when you reset the counters seems to have a big influence on what the display continues to say.

The only real way to get the true mpg is to see how many miles you get on a full tank and divide by 13.19.  I got about 610 miles on my last full tank of which 300 was around town driving which works out at 46mpg.

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:52am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Originally posted by bigc218 bigc218 wrote:

Fraid so Cry

But if you press your "Info" button on the steering wheel you can choose what you see..
you can see your MPG figure, and as with the "White Bar" on the new ones, tis number goes up and down depending on how you drive...
You can also use the "miles left to empty" figure (which we do) and the more leaner your driving, the more that number goes up.
I've left home, gone and done a 30 mile trip and come back with more mileage to empty showing than when I left.... Good game!!
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 1:36pm
Driving in reverse again Gadget?  I told you not to.

BTW - seem to be chasing you round the forum right now - and you thought only celebrities had stalkers LOL

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 2:21pm
Stalk away Graham - its nice to feel wanted!!! Big smile

Jeez, there's been so much to catch up on!!! Wacko
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
bigc218 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigc218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 6:16pm
hi gadget,

I agree these are both useful tools but I like the instant mpg figure as this means you get to see the actual mpg at any given time. I like the way my golf has 2 separate counters, 1 for current journey and 1 overall which I reset on fill up. 

BTW we have been away on hols for the last wleek with QQ and we averaged 46mpg, however we were in dorset and there was a lot town driving and hills, so not too bad. Done 350 miles and range shows another 250 to go.
Bobby Blingo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Bobby Blunder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Blingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 12:38pm
I couldn't believe it,
I got 78.8 today but now has dropped to 67.4. I didn't have my iPhone with me to take a photo so that I could prove it...grrr.
I usually average 45 around town in my 1.5 diesel.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:37pm
Its the weather Bobby.... its super warm... ... up here just now... bear in mind its usually below zero up here...
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Bobby Blingo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Bobby Blunder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Blingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Fee Fee wrote:

Its the weather Bobby.... its super warm... ... up here just now... bear in mind its usually below zero up here...

It's really warm here in Fife at our newly acquired Holiday home Fee.
Hot Day, great mpg, what's going on?.....:..... Long may it continue 😎😎🎉🍻
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:56pm
Oooh where in Fife was at St Monans yesterday!!!
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 6:01pm
Just did another measure. When I filled 'er up I put about 12,5 UK gallons in and had driven 400 miles, so that's ca 32 MPG. Trip computer said 35 so that's not too far off. This is with very mixed driving around trafficy town on weekends, and motorway at 60-75 mph week days.
Not the best result but I wasn't trying very hard either - I wanted more of a "real life" result that reflects my relatively vroomy driving style.

Oh and that was with 2WD mode selected the whole time.

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 2:06pm
Just did my first "proper" mpg calculation, i.e. at last fill up reset the trip counter, then noted the miles when I filled up again today

353.3 miles done, 34.63 litres used = 46.38 mpg

Dash display was saying... 45.9 mpg, so quite close.

Apart from one 20 mile motorway trip, that 350 miles was all just local commuting with lots of queueing and traffic lights, so quite impressed with that.
Mart1965 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mart1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 4:52pm
Just past the 10K boundary this afternoon, now had our little 1.5 dci QQ since feb 16 this year was new in Sept 2012, she is now managing 55mpg on average 200 mile week for work plus 100 on weekend socially. best run so far was last week 667miles on one tank diesel mixed driving holiday stuff. Big smileBig smile   
2012 1.5dci NTEC+ cafe-latte, Blinged up, club sticker, brake-light sticker, Flip-keyfob,Bonnet guard, Blue LEDS
stevethesimtec View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevethesimtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 2:51pm
For all you people suffering poor MPG. I strongly suggest you check your air filter. I had a 1.5dci up to March of this year, and noticed the MPG figure drop. As soon as I replaced it, MPG shot up to 63MPG on my test route. And note, NISSAN do not replace it with a service. It cost me £8 to replace and only takes a couple of minutes. Give it a try....
Nothin' is easy

'13 Pearl-Black 360 4WD 1.6Dci
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 4:50pm
And the weather is warmer too..... should also improve the MPG!!,
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 7:23pm
Maybe, Maybe not.

Sure - the engine may come off choke earlier in warmer weather, but if it means the driver turns the aircon up then the losses due to this are likely to outweigh any fractional improvements from warmer weather.

Also you have to think about driver behaviour. It's a fact that people drive faster in dry weather (or, to put it another way, slow down in wet weather) plus it's a fact that sun and warm weather makes people feel relaxed, carefree and therefore likely to decide to "enjoy their driving" rather then "conserve fuel".
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:35pm
Well. I can categorically say that in my diesels , the warmer weather has co-incided with improved MPG. and no, I don't really relax more in the summer.. I think you're more likely to hammer it being a bit more enthusiastic, decreasing the MPG...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic