Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Useful Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Washer Bottle Cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washer Bottle Cap
    Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 9:43am
Managed to drop the washer bottle cap this morning. The cap ended up wedged against some pipe and other gubbins (too far and tight to reach with your hands)
Drove the QQ home and it had dropped to the bottom engine cowl and fortunately I had one of those flexi pick up things with a small claw to extract otherwise I would have had to unscrew the cowl etc.
Don't understand why there is not cable to stop this happening, other cars I have owned have this.

Anyway to prevent this happening made a quick mod with a drill and cable tie. (Might swap the cable tie for a slimmer one)

Might save someone the same issue would have been a real pain if not close to home and not summer or raining let alone screen wash sloping all out over the engine/belts.

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 10:25am
So simple, yet so ingenious.... Thumbs Up
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 10:39am
Yep......the old cable ties also were good for tying on the Wheel Trims on previous lower spec cars I had, additionally to check if the Mechanics had actually checked the brakes as if the ties were still intact, how the hell could they have done it without taking the trims off to get to the Wheel nuts to take the wheel off......
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 12:41pm
We had another members a year or so back who did the same (patch) , this mod was mentioned then and he did the same and no probleks after that
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
vuli View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 2:01pm
hey, where can I find this bottle cap? I am missing mine for 4-5 years now.
After the (20.000 km) 1st service the car is without this cap.
Do anyone know the store to buy this cap.
QashQai 2.0dCi Acenta,4wd,manual,07

paulyoung666 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyoung666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 8:33pm
your dealer ( stealer ) will sell you one at a price !!!! , i did the same as the OP has done , if you look on the underside of the cap it has a place to fit a dipstick for the washer bottle , cost cutting most likely precluded fitting the dipstick .....
Ink Blue 2016 Tekna 1.5dci , loving it
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 9:26pm
Well i am going to try this tomorrow cable tie seems a great ideato ensure i keep the top
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
w1zzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1zzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áAugá2012 at 9:49pm
I lost mine in the engine cowl and had to take it off

Might modify mine like that
Sep 2011 Qashqai 1.5dci n-Tec New Flame Red. AFMC
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áAugá2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by vuli vuli wrote:

hey, where can I find this bottle cap? I am missing mine for 4-5 years now.
After the (20.000 km) 1st service the car is without this cap.
Do anyone know the store to buy this cap.

could possibly try ebay or a dismantler  one off another nissan might fit .
good luck .
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áAugá2012 at 5:02pm
All done thanks for a great idea snoods Thumbs Up

Edited by ..QQ.. - 16áAugá2012 at 5:17pm
Timmylish View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmylish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áAugá2012 at 2:29am
Did the same thing shortly after taking delivery of our QQ.
As a stop gap measure I just put cling film and a rubber band over the exposed bottle neck until I fished the bleedin' cap out of the engine housing
Proud new owner of Red Fusion QQ, 1,5 dCI Tekna Sport (110 CV) (Different spec. here on Tenerife!)with so many bells and whistles I may need a lot of help in finding answers to a lot of questions!!!!
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áAugá2012 at 2:54am
Just leave it off - saves time when topping it up Wink
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
millport View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áSepá2012 at 2:15am
hi, great idea - ive just been out and done mine,

cheers millportBig smile
MILLPORT; QASHQAI+2,1.5Ci.110 n-TEC.+ 5D, MAGNETIC RED.
RAFscouse View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAFscouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áSepá2012 at 8:16pm
You should not have to do this really? As previously mentioned the cap actually has a dipstick fitted to the underside. This is quite long and prevents the cap from going anywhere if it does come loose from the bottle. I know this because I noticed mine was missing when I bought the car, a few quid on fleabay is all it cost to replace.
Night Fury

(09)1.5 DCI N-TEC nightshade, Sunshine roof, Connect system, 18" rims, K&N air filter, chrome: boot handle, boot lip protector, inner & outer sills. Blue interior LEDs, cobra bars planned
Snoods View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áSepá2012 at 8:41pm
Mine has no dipstick? Although I see a clip fitting underneath. Can't really see the point of a dipstick method if you going to the bother of checking it you might as well fill it up there and then regardless. Ford used to have a sensor on the tank which was a better solution rather than a manual dipstick. Can anyone confirm if there QQ came with a dipstick mine was 9 moths old 2nd hand and did not but could have been lost?
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2012 at 8:31am
Got mine new in April 2012 - no dipstick!
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2012 at 4:12pm
nissan dont actually put a dipstick on the cap now , not sure why ?
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
qashqaiman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2012 at 7:46pm
mine is 2011 with dipstick in water bottle its bloody useless
2011 qashqai tekna 1.6 dci black. with chrome fog light surrounds front & rear.sidebars.number plate surrounds door sill guards.
Chainsaw View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2012 at 2:16am
2009 Sound & Style, with dipstick. (on the cap, not behind the wheel!)

Chainsaw
QQ 2.0 dci, S&S, Nightshade, Bose 7 Spkrs, Roof Rails, 1/2-1/2 Leather Seats, Panoramic Roof, MGF Horns, Xenon Lights, Retro fitted 25915- BH30E Connect system. COMING SOON: X-Trail EXTREME TEKNA
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2012 at 10:28pm
My last QQ had a long plastic thing attached underneath the cap going down into the tank, I suppose that's what you're calling a "dipstick". I called it "a bloody nuisance", I mean what's the point. I'm doing this when I get my new QQ be sure of that!

Edited by RayBanJockey - 14áSepá2012 at 10:30pm

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
TheBigYin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigYin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2012 at 11:56pm
Ours came with a dipstick, we bought ours used.
2009 Qashqai 1.6 Acenta (Orange/Fired Iron), 2008 Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTi Sport.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áSepá2012 at 8:58pm
Ours was sold by a Dipstick!! LOL
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
the stig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24áSepá2012 at 9:35pm
no dipstick on mine not that i would want one i just fill it right to the top of the neck then i know it will last ages the tank is nearly as big as the fuel tankLOL
60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
rustyfrog View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áNová2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by ericos ericos wrote:

Just leave it off - saves time when topping it upáWink

----------------------------
I have no choice.

Just lost mine!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left!

2011 QQ + 2, Ntec, 2L dci 4wd, Blade Silver, + Chrome pack
Casbah-Joe View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casbah-Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áAugá2013 at 9:52am
Mine has a dipstick - even more so when I look in the vanity mirror

Edited by Casbah-Joe - 13áAugá2013 at 9:53am
Barryboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMayá2015 at 11:23am
The original item (that's the blue one that got lost in the bowels of the engine bay) had no 'dipstick' but the replacement (the yellow one) I bought from the local Nissan dealer for (I think) about three pounds has a long 'disptick'. But on this point I asked him why on earth there was a disptick?  He told me it wasn't a dipstick as such, but it was simply there to stop people losing their cap in as much as you never need to completely remove it when refilling the water bottle.  I can see that - it's the simplest (i.e. cheapest) solution to the design problem of the original fitment and it works.

Rob
Machines were mice and men were lions, once upon a time.... now it's just the opposite - it's twice upon a time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic