Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Interior.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water coming from A-pillar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water coming from A-pillar
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:13pm
I've noticed the last couple of times there's been heavy rain, there's some water coming from the driver's side A-pillar.

It's mostly from the join where the pillar trim meets the headliner, but kind of runs down the length of the pillar trim, like this (marked in red):
(not my car, stock image)

I had a look around the door seal, but couldn't see any gaps.  This has me worried that it might be the panoramic roof seal Cry

Anyone had this problem, or have an idea what to rip off to check exactly where it's coming from?  Anyone ever had the roof seal replaced, and know what kind of price I'd be looking at?

Edited by elyl - 16 Nov 2014 at 1:13pm
2009 1.5dci n-tec, black, connect, panoramic roof, automirrors
ChrissH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 5:35pm
Not really too sure to be honest, seem weird that it would start leaking down the A Pillar.

Is it a steady flow of water in the rain? 

Hope you can get this sorted soon, its never good when water starts to dribble in! 
Chris -
1.6 Acenta Gun Metal Grey, 12 Plate
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 5:45pm
It's just a few drips, not a steady flow, and only in heavy rain.

I went and took a look at it today, removed the trim and there were a few drips coming from up towards the roof.  I took a look, and where the roof rails are, there's a rubber seal there.  On the passenger side, it seems to fit in to the windscreen seal, but on the driver side there is a bit of a gap, the roof bar seal doesn't seem to "slot" into the windscreen seal.
I tried to manoeuvre the roof seal into the window seal, but I think I made the gap a little worse, so I didn't try any further.  I dried up all the remaining condensation I could reach under the inside trim.

That tallies up with roughly where the water would be coming from, so I'm going to try and seal the gap up with some of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capt-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Cure/dp/B003T6EJ9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416159699&sr=8-2&keywords=captain+tolley

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to get the seals renewed... has anyone done this themselves before?  Would I need a whole new windscreen to renew the window seals?
2009 1.5dci n-tec, black, connect, panoramic roof, automirrors
ChrissH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:02pm
I know someone that had tried the creeping crack cure on their car it did the trick - Their leak was from one of the side panels going into the footwell though, but i see no reason why it wouldn't work with yours! for 7, its worth the punt :) 
Chris -
1.6 Acenta Gun Metal Grey, 12 Plate
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 6:40pm
Old topic yes but my 2012 +2 has leak at the same place. Or atleast thats the place it is getting wet.
I tried pouring water to see where it's leaking but didn't find it yet. I will be taking those trimming off to see better.
Did this ever got solved or has anyone else had a problem like this?
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:04pm
Hi there  I  had rain coming in my boot on my QQ  I had a Machanic and a spray painter looking at it for hours I found the problem myself the runner that comes from the front to the back the holes in it was letting in water in heavy rain I got my son to lift it up a bit and I put silicon on it and it cured the problem I hope that helps 
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Midge Midge wrote:

Hi there  I  had rain coming in my boot on my QQ  I had a Machanic and a spray painter looking at it for hours I found the problem myself the runner that comes from the front to the back the holes in it was letting in water in heavy rain I got my son to lift it up a bit and I put silicon on it and it cured the problem I hope that helps 

What runner are you talking about? Did you have to tear down anything inside?
Now it rains heavily and water was dripping from roof light cluster. My car was tilted to the left when it was parked. 
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Hi there I had to buy one of those camera with a 6 ft cable for sticking in small holes i ripped a few bits off till i found it it was coming in the Drivers side at the I reckon that was the reason the people sold the car as they could not fix the water leak what I would do if I was you I would go to pet shop get water silicone and just ease both the strips from front to back and put silicone in the holes before you put the plastic runner back down if I can be any more help please get back in touch my car is a 2008 
Thanks Midge 
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
My car is +2 with glass roof and 2012 model.
Do you mean that black plastic trim that runs on the roof side outside car?
My car has roof rails too as it is +2 model. Will go and have a look at it.
Thanks already!

Rami
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:11am
Yes thats the bit mines has the glass roof as well its worth a try mate I was going crazy before I found the Problem I spend days trying to find it the best of luck up hope you can get it fixed Thanks 
Midge 
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
It's coming from windshield gasket/seal. Just my luck. Well windshield is in bad condition already but no cracks.
Hope that's the only leak and it hasn't rusted too much. 
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:47am
Hi Rammi I am pleased you have found it that removes a lot of stress from you at least er try and help each other out just look for some of the boys that do window screens see if he would replace the seal on the side for you Thanks for keeping me updated m8 Hope its fixed soon Thanks 
Midge 
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:50pm
Yeah allthough i don't like that it leaks from windshield, it's still satisfying that i found that leak. Let's hope that it doesn't leak anywhere else.
Thank you for your help. I'll let you guys know when it is changed.
I've done pretty much anything else with cars but windshield is something i'm leaving to professionals. LOL
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:32pm
New windshield installed. There was rust and i think thats the reason why there was part where the glue was detach from the frame. That trim is new too which is between windshield and glassroof. The old one was bent at the same place where the rust and leak was.
My car has just get 360000km.. Big smile
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:46pm
Hi I am pleased that its fixed now when our weather is getting worse all the time rain and rain did you get someone on the side or did you go through the company thanks very much for letting me know how it went Thanks Midge 
Raami View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:54pm
Through company. Much easier that way. If i would do it myself i think i  would soon have many leaks. LOL
Midge View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 4:08pm
Yes will I suppose thats away to look at it you say come on the winter and its rain as you sorted  i hope you have nothing else to worry about good motoring for the future Take Care 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic