UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > General Specs and Technical Details
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whatcar intervention on problematic brake discs.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Whatcar intervention on problematic brake discs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatcar intervention on problematic brake discs.
    Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:11am
Dear all,
Anyone who has read my previous topics will know the problems that I and my partner have faced regarding the faults on my QQ.

We have had a reply from whatcar help desk today regarding the problems with the constant warping and bad juddering of the brake discs on my Squashy, and to the usual reply from Nissan - they are not covered under warranty, wear and tear items, there is not a known fault with Qashqai brake discs etc.
I have given them all the details regarding the ongoing problem, past history and correspondence to and from Nissan.
They have asked our permission to intervene on our behalf with Nissan over the problems  Thumbs Up

I will of course update this topic with the outcome.

Fi 
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:55am
Thanks for the info FionaThumbs Up. Maybe whatcar will be able to get a positive response from NissanBig smile
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:59am
Encouraging Thumbs Up.

I read Auto Express and they do have success on behalf of drivers who come up against that 'brick wall'.

Keep us posted Fiona.
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:06pm
Nice you have some back up with a bit of clout.....Thumbs Up
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:23am
Up-Date
Well after several yoyo phone calls from NCS and the dealer in Stirling, the Squashy has finally gone in for the brake inspection this morning, I find it quite Ermm disconcerting that it has taken the intervention of both Whatcar and the press to bring me to this stage so far.
My better half still had to fight his corner this morning though as the courtesy car that had been arranged by NCS was to be charged to us despite telling them that we are not prepared to foot the bill. The dealer finally agreed to let us have the use of it as a goodwill gesture from them.
Just patiently waiting now for the phone call from the dealer this afternoon with the findings, hopefully they will find the cause and maybe even a cure.  

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:27am
Hope you get the result you deserve.....Thumbs Up
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:12pm
Keep us updates FionaBig smile. Sounds like other people have had the same problem over the yearsErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:18pm
Encouraging.... well done for persevering!! Smile
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:01pm
Up-Date
Just had the dealer on the phone, spoke to my better half about the findings.
Apparently the front brakes (braking system?) need a modification doing to themLamp, they are waiting to hear back from NCS as to whether this can be carried out under warranty.
Also surprise, surprise after they carried out their Visual Health Check the rear shock absorber bushes were found to be starting to perish.
Has this been mentioned on here before by any chance Wink
They asked for approval to fit new ones @ around £300, I declined. Afraid this matter also is going to be discussed with the press too.
I will of course update every one with the outcome, especially the modification that needs to be done?? 

Fi
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:21pm
Yes the rear shock absorbers were a problem on the early Qashqai models like yours and should have been replaced during the warranty period. Also the steering gear cover screw should have been replaced also under warranty too.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:40pm
Quote this forum about the shocks..theres plenty on here about that....
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:46pm
Just got the car back from the Stealers,
diagnosis is that the inside faces of both discs are pitted (didn't mention warped) due to water ingress from the wheel arch, didn't speak to the tech but only second hand from the service guy. Apparently the inner wheel arch may be the culprit and may need alteration to stop the water getting behind the discs Pinch 
The other explanation was because the car only covers a small mileage, the brakes are getting rusty and may be causing the problem, seems I heard that the first time it went in for new discs.
So just to clear this problem up if your suffering the same fault as me,
never go out in the rain, don't wash your car, drive galactic mileages and your discs will be fine for the duration of ownership. Love to see that printed on the owners hand book lol.

As for the warranty issue, both myself and the dealer are waiting to hear back from Nissan as to what is to be done to the car and who is coughing up for it.

Fi
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:09pm
So what they are saying basically is that it could be a possible inner wheel arch design faultErmm that may be causing the problem. Therefore the design is not fit for purpose. In one respect they are right when they say that cars doing a small amount of mileage are worse off then high mileage vehicles. In general this applies to most cars on the road today and has been the same for years.
I think the pitting of the disc's could lead to cracks appearing at some point, as pitting would be a fatigue pointErmm 
Hope you can get them to agree on paying, even if it is a good will gesture. That would be fineThumbs Up.
Let us know what happensBig smile
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:40am
Update
Firstly I would like to thank the Mods for keeping this thread going and not pulling it as this is the drop in and say hello section.

Sent an email to the dealer,cc NCS and Whatcar on Thursday (2 says after the car went in) as to what the verdict was, I reminded them about what their MD had recently quoted to the media- Nissan's 48 hour promise – ‘We will offer customers who have a problem with their car a proposal to resolve it within 48 hours. That doesn’t mean it’ll be fixed in 48 hours but we promise to lay down what we’ll do within 48 hours. That’s from the dealer in conjunction with us.
Had a phone call some time later from NCS regarding the email and it's contents, more so the fact that the dealer was prepared to charge my partner for the use of the courtesy car and I stated in my email that part of Nissan 5 point plan to the customer is Mobility – ‘If their car is off the road for whatever reason, a service or breakdown, then Nissan will guarantee free of charge mobility. That means a courtesy car will be provided for free.
The guy at NCS sounded quiet disappointed at this as he said that Nissan do not charge for this service and would enquire as to why the dealer was charging it's customers.
He then went on to say that NCS had not received anything yet from the warranty dept regarding the faults. He had tried to contact the dealership and left several messages for them to return his call, he then said that he would phone us on Friday morning after chasing the dealership regarding the matter. My partner also called the dealer twice that afternoon leaving his name and number but as of today (Saturday) we have not heard back from either NCS or Arnold Clark. 
It has taken just over six weeks so far to get to this stage and it is becoming quiet laborious now chasing both the dealer and NCS, I think it's time that the big guns got involved. I owe a huge thanks to Whatcar for helping me to get to this stage (originally Nissan would not budge)
So, just collected all the correspondence that I have regarding the case and have contacted the BBC's Watchdog show again, will just wait to hear back from them to see if they are prepared to step in especially in respect to the shock absorber issues that I and many of you have suffered.

Update will of course follow.

Fi
w1zzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1zzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:47am
Yeah had my rear shockers replaced on my 58plate car after 500 miles.

They said a bad batch of rubber inserts in the shockers were dodgy

No problems since. that was 2 years ago
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:54am
Don't give up...not they your going too anyway...NCS seem to be backing you on the courtesy issue, its a start..more people you get banging on there door the better...sure watchdog would be a big hitter as Nissan wont want adverse publicity from them...a long drawn out affair but am sure you will win in the end...hope its sorted out sooner that later....Thumbs Up
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:45am
Hi Harry,
Yes what we would really like is an end to this misery.
It is not the fact that it has the faults, what really Censored me off is the lack of help and support from the dealers and Nissan that you get once they have your money in their bank.
I personally want to get back into my Sqaushy and drive it again as it used to be, I can just about remember what it was like.
I am really sorry that this post is all doom and gloom.

On a lighter note, I really like the Qashqai. I don't think that there is much out there that comes close to it for looks, equipment, comfort and space for the price. Though I do admit that they have gone up a bit since I purchased mine, but so have the opposition. I love the driving position and the clear all round visibility. But the one thing I would really like to see added, don't know if it's just me or anyone else has noticed, is a dipping wing mirror like the ones found on Mercedes, I find that when reversing say into a parking bay or next to the kerb I cannot see the lines or kerb unless I manually lower the mirror, Nick my partner also says the same. 
We were considering swapping the QQ this year for a newer model, even went to test drive the Juke but found it a little too small, so were thinking of a N-Tec as a replacement.
I hope that Nissan get their act together or our custom may very well go else where.

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:02pm
Don't blame you for feeling the way you do...after all you paid out good money to the dealer which he quickly pocketed but not so quick to get the problems sorted out...something not right about the brakes all along which Id suspect the dealer already knew about...hence the messing you about and the feeble excuses...just got to keep your cool until you get what you want from them...then let rip on how you really feel...also once you get it sorted your going to post your opinion of them on here and anywhere else you can think to warn people off them.
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:16pm
Yes indeed Harry,

Have already warned my two neighbours who have Qashqai and Juke respectively, also Nicks aunt who recently purchased a Qashqai.
Made them all aware of the known faults to both vehicles that I have found out on this forum and the Internet, which I may add must now be a big worry to manufacturers with so much easily obtainable information available. Told all parties that at the slightest hint of a fault to go straight to the dealers and demand it to be rectified, quote this forum too.
People tell half a dozen when they are happy but with the Internet and owners club forums you can tell many thousands when your not!

Am I right in thinking that the new facelifted Qashqai does not suffer the rear shock problem? or have issues been reported.

Fi 
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
Hi Fiona
I had the same 2007 QQ as you same color too...but change it for a 1.5dci N-Tec last Sept...not had any problems with it. The shocks are know to Nissan as faulty on the pre facelift models they change them for everybody that needed it done using different shocks as the 1st ones bushes collapse also the bonnets had a bad overhang but there been very little wrong with the new models dare say there is some things but as I say mine was OK
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:48pm
Thanks
That's good to know.
Mentioned the shocks to NCS along with the brakes in an earlier conversation and was told that they had not recognised there was a fault with either, but when speaking to the dealer on Tuesday they said to Nick that they (the dealer) knew of the shock absorber problems.
Seems that there are too many - we are not aware of any faults coming from Nissan.
I did read somewhere either in the press or on here that they would not want to admit to a fault with the suspension, thus leaving themselves open to a global recall and costing a small fortune in repairs or re-design, so it seems that what they are doing is waiting for a complaint then rectify it in smaller numbers. 
I will be chasing Nissan up on the shock absorber issue as you may well know.

Fi
mandiskem View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Juggler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandiskem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:58pm
as harry said the new facelift hasnt had any of the problems yet that the  pre facelift models have 
proud owner of a nissan qashqai acenta premium 1.5dci ink blue
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:59pm
They are telling porkies about the shocks...they know alright..enough people on here alone got them changed god knows how many other people took there QQ back due to it.
Gie them welly....LOL
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:41pm
Just been speaking to a neighbour whilst outside and he asked how we were getting on with the cars problems and he then asked if we had been using the Qashqai as you see it driven on the TV advert (the one where they use it as a skateboard) LOL
He said that in his eyes the Qashqai definitely is not Urban Proof, he made light of it that all the QQ's that have suffered the suspension failure must have taken part in that advert Clap
At least it may us smile.

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:49pm
Imagine if everybody started doing things like that...they do advertise its urban proof and show it doing all sorts of crazy stunts...wonder how they would get on in court defending it.....LOL
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:00pm
Just watched the scate board advert on Youtube.
Now I now why my QQ's brakes and suspension are fCensoredd, must have been used as one of the stunt cars on that add LOL 
Will put it to NCS on Monday when I resume my battle Big smile got to laugh!

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:10pm
Kinda puts them in an awkward position....begining to like the sound of this now to use as a big stick to beat them over the head with...takes out there puny excuses with there own advert...I like it....LOL
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:19pm
As my Squashy only travels up and down the A9 to Perth and back (18 miles hence the low mileage) reasonably flat and even surface I don't think the "Urban Proof" has lived up to it's reputation, unless it cannot cope with the tiny potholes and the constant running over the cats eyes LOL.  Would hate to think what would happen to the suspension if it was used like Nicks Jeep Patriot, driven on really uneven surfaces to work (he is a military tank driving instructor) Shocked

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by FionaQQ FionaQQ wrote:

As my Squashy only travels up and down the A9 to Perth and back (18 miles hence the low mileage) reasonably flat and even surface I don't think the "Urban Proof" has lived up to it's reputation, unless it cannot cope with the tiny potholes and the constant running over the cats eyes LOL.  Would hate to think what would happen to the suspension if it was used like Nicks Jeep Patriot, driven on really uneven surfaces to work (he is a military tank driving instructor) Shocked

Fi

Now that would be fun to run around in...wouldnt like to pay to fill it up but.....LOL
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:35pm
wouldnt like to pay to fill it up but.....LOL

Just asked him, 345 gallons of diesel to fill up and around 4 MPG! Censored 

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:49pm
£2,242.50 @ say £6.50 a gallon.....get you 1380 miles...bargain at the price....LOL
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by HarryN-TEC HarryN-TEC wrote:

£2,242.50 @ say £6.50 a gallon.....get you 1380 miles...bargain at the price....LOL
Aye but they cost £4.5 Million each and you do get to shoot the dealer if it breaks Wink
New suspension kit is around £28,000.
Makes my claim look tiny.

Fi
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:33pm
Cool...get to shoot the dealer..a few on here would have like to do that recently....LOL
Maybe the guy from Falkirk with £161m might be tempted.....Wink 
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:17pm
well i feel for the brake disc issue as my sister had the same problem but hers was sorted (after a little battle from mobility to nissan) ....

funny thing is i read on here somewhere that the brakes feel like they judder...and guess what mine started to do it a while back...not bad but its the start...

as mine is now out of warranty not alot to do..but i had been looking at aftermarket discs in the hope they will sort the issue...again low milage(18k on a 57 plate) but i also feel they discs are sub standard and should be recalled by nissan
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
FionaQQ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:37pm
Hi Mick
All I can suggest is that you get on to Nissan Customer Services as soon as you can and tell them that you know it is a reported problem or they may try and fob you off with the usual it's not a known fault. tip- don't phone them, email them then you have every thing to hand if you need to take it further.
Please quote my ongoing issues in your conversation/email and mention the club, as lots have said the more references to this club the better.
Have you had any problems with your suspension at all?

Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic