Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > General Specs and Technical Details
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whatcar intervention on problematic brake discs.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whatcar intervention on problematic brake discs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:25pm
i had my shocks replaced under warranty...been fine so far ever since...x fingers...and had the steering screw checked at the same time...

only noticed the brakes a few months back..funny it doesnt do it all the time though...
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
UrbanNomad View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:17pm
As Harry said shocks on pre face-lifted QQ ( 2007-2009 ) are being fitted with the shocks currently in use as a measure to prevent "future issues" ( My dealers words ) My shocks were changed in March during it's 2nd service, although I had no problems with them.
The bonnet overhang has affected a few of the current QQ (2010 onwards ), and there is a fix.

Smile

Bling-free 2009 QQ Acenta 1.6 called Tyson in Faded Denim, still looking box fresh!
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 11:23pm
oh hell.....i had to drive to newcastle the other week to see lee evans...and on the way up the whole dam car shook really bad when i had to brake...it was like driving on a cobbled street...or just the usual pot holed road...lol

the whole interior rocked,rattled and rolled it was bad...i am not happy at all...in fact it felt very unsafe indeed...but as its out of warranty ill have to buy new discs and pads...
i will be getting after market and not nissan's set

nissan really need to look into this
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 12:19pm
So new discs and pads then MickErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 2:16pm
I don't think it helps that the Qashqai is chronically under-braked (or - at least - my +2 is). Just peer behind the wheels and you'll see a tiny rotor hiding back there, with no ventilation, no grooves, nothing like that and a stupid shield on the back.

MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:56pm
well thats it...i had to get the brakes done today and 180 less in my pocket...im a little peed with it...
2 new discs and pads for the front...
the garage gave me to discs and pads and lets just say they Censored'd...the discs are kaputt at the rear of the discs so you cant see then....and the pads are curved just like the discs...
i may give ncs and complain that after 21k they should last longer than that and see if they can "contribute" to my bill...

anyone know what the outcome was for fionaQQ..
ill post some pics of my discs and pads so you can see what is what...you know glad im getting rid of the QQ now...but i defo didnt want to be 180 down on this...may be able to get abit more on my trade in but doubt it
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:16pm
Should have driven it straight to the Garage to trade it in Mick - let them worry about when they sell it on.
You're right though, 21k seems a bit shabby for discs!!!
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:21pm
i know mate...but i just couldnt trade or sell it with the brakes like they were...i need to sleep at nightwith a clean conscience...

however all monies sorted for my new car...Thumbs Up just a matter of getting it now
Jacko View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 8:54am
I had a problem with my discs being warped when i bough my car. only 18k miles. dealer first skimmed them to 0.1 mm of their legal thickness.  I said that was unacceptable and they changed discs and pads for me free of charge, There is definitely a manufacturing fault with the discs. 
2010 2.0DCI N-TEC Nightshade
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:46am
Well done Mick - going for the SF??
Did you get up there to test drive it at the weekend??

On the line of Discs, we had our Front Pads and Discs replaced when we bought it, so it'll be interesting to see how long they last!!
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 5:21pm
prob is a fault with the discs but more likely what they are made of...seems they have a number if issues with the QQ...
shocks/bushes
steering pin/screw
fuel seal
brake discs
over hang of bonnet on the mk2...not sure of any more on the +2 or mk2

i have many cars over the years and only ever changed the discs on 1 of my cars and that had 80+k on it...
to have to change after 21k is shocking...and im far from impressed...

gadget...took one for a spin last saturday...nice motor..looking 4ward to getting one

tommy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 5:43pm
Reference brake pads and disks, to save you money, use blue print parts, they are better quality and very reasonably priced, i paid 63:75 for rear pads and disks, and last year i repaced the front pads and disks one year later no sign of rust or wear on disks, 10775 miles done since fitted the front. tommy
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 5:46pm
180 fitted....discs and pads...there were defo not nissan discs thats for sure...
could of got discs off of ebay for 65 but they needed to be done asap so kinda gutted about the price...but it still would of cost me 120 fitted...
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:08pm
here are some pics...

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:32pm
The car is chronically under-braked. Especially the "+2" that I have. I've actually got my brakes to smoke a few times when I've been pressing on.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:42am
That's not good Mick.

As you do a low mileage, wonder if it is a 'standing around doing nothing' issue, rather than a use thing?  Mine surface rust up quite quickly after being parked in a rain shower Ermm.

Mine's done 24k now and bearing in mind the problems some have had I asked my dealership to do a check on the disks/pads a week or so back as I was getting that grinding noise Shocked.  Apparently just surface rust.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
g-man View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

That's not good Mick.

As you do a low mileage, wonder if it is a 'standing around doing nothing' issue, rather than a use thing?  Mine surface rust up quite quickly after being parked in a rain shower Ermm.

Mine's done 24k now and bearing in mind the problems some have had I asked my dealership to do a check on the disks/pads a week or so back as I was getting that grinding noise Shocked.  Apparently just surface rust.

I get a grinding noise with my Audi after it's been sat about in the wet (being Glasgow that's most of the time). You hear it when you move off and also when you first use the brakes. Once you've used the brakes a few times the noise is gone as the pads clean it off. Nothing to worry about IMO.
2012 Qashqai+2 1.6dci stop/start N-tec+ in Mineral Grey
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:02am
Agree about Scottish weather and discs seem to corrode a bit over night, but a short run and they are clear again.
Tommy good price -where did you get Blue print pads and stuff, I am sure people would like to know?
Last QQ was over 18k miles and discs were still ok. Had a Nissan Almera 5 years and had to replace front discs at 4 years but they had not warped just thin and some scores. As in Micks pictues shiney bit is where pads rub and the outer and inner bits with no contact seem to expand as the rust settles in, I sometimes (gently) scrapped this off with the end of a file so it did not interfere with the disk pads.
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

That's not good Mick.

maybe standing but most of my cars stand around and have never had this issue....i guess i most gutted about the 180....

tommy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 1:23pm
Any aftersales out let will be able to get them. Blue print make the original equipment, but are better quality, i have used them for years and never had any problems with them. tommy
g-man View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by tommy tommy wrote:

Any aftersales out let will be able to get them. Blue print make the original equipment, but are better quality, i have used them for years and never had any problems with them. tommy

Regarding my discs, a mechanic told me that you have to have soft discs with hard pads or vice-versa. He said German cars usually have soft discs and so were prone to rusting. Although he did say that Japanese cars usually had hard discs....
2012 Qashqai+2 1.6dci stop/start N-tec+ in Mineral Grey
mini_mad_paul View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_mad_paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 2:24pm
So would hard discs and hard pads = squeeling?

As my wife's C2 VTS can't stop squeeling.

As an aside, my discs lasted 20,000 miles and in 18 months - so no standing much!
2009 Cayman Blue Qashqai 1.5 Tekna Avg 41.1mpg - Born: 15/05/2009 - Died: 31/05/2012
2012 Ford CMax 2.0D Titanium Powershift Avg 37.7mpg - Born: 01/06/2012 - Died: 31/05/2015
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 2:32pm
you guys know I am not technical but I went into the dealers for my previous Qashqais squealing brakes... They basically told me that due to the brake discs no longer being coated with asbestos?? the current coating can wear quicker and brakes can squeal due to wear??

I didnt question it as i really didnt know what to say - dont know how much truth is in what they said??

Fee x
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 2:45pm
Fee - They did away with asbestos many years ago so not an excuse they can use in this modern age.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 2:55pm
Thanks Doug -- that figures....!!! ..typical me....

Fee LOL
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 4:08pm
Many mechanics leave the anti-squeal shims out (or don't grease them) when re-assembling brakes. I don't know if the QQ has these, but if it does and they're not there then - yes - they'll squeal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic