UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Owners questions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club
Thanks to our sponsor for their support

When to replace front brake pads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to replace front brake pads
    Posted: 19†Nov†2010 at 5:49pm
Put new front tyres on my QQ today at 18,000 miles. Not bald but I've noticed that the grip from a starting position has deteriorated, particularly if I'm on an incline. Thought it best get ready for winter brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I noticed that there is about 4mm on my front brake pads. The car is in for service next week and I just wondered if I should have these replaced at the same ime or run it for a bit longer. How long will 4mm last me?

Thanks

H
57 plate Acenta in Faded Denim Petrol 1.6 with ESP!
395 DRIVER View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 395 DRIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Nov†2010 at 2:33am
Hi, if you are having a service soon the dealer will probably recommend new pads as they will not last until next service. The brake discs should be measured at this point to insure they are not approaching there minimum thickness (unlikely at this mileage, but not impossible). Difficult to say how long 4mm will last, as depends on driving style, a random guess of 3-4000 miles??? Remembering of course you only have about 2mm left before pads reach the minimum thickness (1.6mm is Mot minimum standard from what I remember). Hope that helps abit?
Did have a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 NTEC, faded denim. Boot mat, mudflaps, carpet mats, illuminated sills, bumper protector. An ex-QQ owner!
Halmer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Nov†2010 at 8:20am
Thanks.

I'm assuming that they're 8mm when new which means I have used 4mm driving 18-19,000 miles. On this basis I should use 2mm over the next 12 months or 8,000 miles.

Thanks I'll see what they say.
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Nov†2010 at 9:30am
Brake pads lose their efficiency as they get lower. So the thinking to keep them until they are nearly to the minimum is not wise.

2010 Qashqai Tekna 2.0 CVT Cafe Latte.

Halmer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Nov†2010 at 11:04am
Gonna be expense for me then this month.

Big third year service, MOT, 2 front tyres and front brakes as well. Could be looking at £600 to £700. Gulp.

Edited by Halmer - 20†Nov†2010 at 11:04am
Kano View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Nov†2010 at 3:20pm
And i'm willing to bet they will try to talk you into getting the discs done at the same time.
Halmer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26†Nov†2010 at 7:28pm
Serviced on Tuesday. Brakes never mentioned. Corroded alloy wheel photographed Tuesday replaced Friday Thumbs Up
r3m0t3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r3m0t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Aug†2013 at 2:47pm
OK, have anyone used aftermarket brake pads? 

I am about to replace my front pads now and because I am not happy with my NISSAN dealer I am not going to spend 300-400 EUR for the complete front brake set. 

NISSAN Qashqai+2 2.0 dci '10
methley View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote methley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Aug†2013 at 5:00pm
I fitted a set of pads and discs I sources from APD a few months ago.  Can't fault them.
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade - with the discerning wheel choice.
PTBN View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTBN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Aug†2013 at 5:03pm
I mounted Brembo disc's and ferodo brake pads! A big upgrade
Nissan Qashqai 1,5 DCI Tekna Sport 2010
r3m0t3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r3m0t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Aug†2013 at 5:34pm
Nice. I am heading to TEXTAR. Do you mates know how can I check if my brake system is from Akebono or the other one which name I don't remember. Is it written somewhere one the brake system or only NISSAN dealers can check this out?!

Cheers
NISSAN Qashqai+2 2.0 dci '10
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Aug†2013 at 6:55pm
Thanks guys, you've just reminded me one off mine was an 'advisory' 2 months ago 80% worn, anybody think this is now urgent, I Havan't a clue! Thanks guys and girls. Iff someone would be lovely to help me on this issue, hope to get the boys back to school first, they are not shy, at the Nissan garage a while back they were feeding a stuffed toy Bassett hound in boot of a juke, real dog biscuits, but not real dog, so hard to watch them and concentrate on a conversation, especially two off them, double the trouble but double the fun. They are nearly eight though so becoming more sensible, phew!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic