Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Which DRLs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which DRLs?
    Posted: 04áMayá2015 at 5:10pm
Hi,

I have a 2010 Qashqai and like the idea of DRLs. I have seen VW Golfs which seem to illuminate the main beams ata low power as DRLs, I quite like this so have replicated this on my QQ.

I'm not sure whether DRLs as fogs are better though, so here are two pictures.

The above images were taken with them at 50%, The main beams look brighter though, and currently running them at 40%.

So fogs or main beams?

cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2015 at 8:39am
I thought I would prefer the fogs, but I actually prefer the full beams! It looks more 'stock' in my opinion.

How did you go about doing this?

Thanks
Ant
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
podwin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2015 at 9:55am
Thanks Ant, I thought the same, main beams do look better I think.

I bought a DRL module for around ú50.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2015 at 9:57am
Cool, you got a link at all to the one you bought? DRLs are something I've given some thought to, but never really liked the look of any of the LED ones available for the QQ. I really like the stock look of yours!
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
podwin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2015 at 10:37am
Hi, this is what I bought:
http://www.module-auto.ro/en/daytime-running-lights-drl
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2015 at 1:46pm
Thanks for the link! I see they do a few different options too. Will take a closer look at these Thumbs Up
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áMará2016 at 10:24pm
I finally got round to buying a DRL-P set from Cornel. Great guy to deal with and the kit looks well put together. 

Just wanted to pick your brain as to how you wired yours in. Did you just splice into the wiring at the back of the lights, or did you patch in at the fuse boxes?

Any info you could provide would be a huge help. 

Thanks,
Ant
podwin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2016 at 10:42am
Hi Ant,

I looked at wiring at the back of lamps, but it looked very awkward to find the right wire, and actually do it properly.

I checked the wiring diagram, and decided it was OK to put power from the DRL into the fuse. I used the fuse piggy backs below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/181548508456?hash=item2a45226528:g:~TEAAOSw-vlVm0UI

I did use it on my foglights for a while as I thought main beams maybe too dazzling, but have gone back to main beams, at just 20% brightness though.

I think it looks good and OEM as you say.

Edited by Tiffany - 19áMará2016 at 10:44am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2016 at 12:17pm
Sounds good! I was looking at those yesterday which is what prompted me to ask. If you get a chance, would you mind posting/sending me a pic of where you piggybacked the fuses onto? Also, what did you use for the ACC power?

Thanks very much,
Ant
podwin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2016 at 6:00pm
I bought an electronics box from Maplin and put the DRL Module in that, with the configuration button on the side of it. I located this next to the battery and fuse box.

The fuse box is labelled well so easy to identify the main beam fuses, I also piggy backed an ignition-on fuse from this fuse box.

I took a +12V feed direct from the battery with an in-line fuse to power the lights.

I will take some pictures soon.

Are you going to use the handbrake and unlock inputs?

Martin
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2016 at 6:09pm
Now thats a good idea. I've mounded the button in a 'potting box' as they call it and was going to mount this on the OBDII port, but I prefer your idea of mounting it all inside a box in the engine bay. I'm going to venture outside tomorrow and have a good nose around the fuse boxes to see whats what as I want to be prepared before I start this job. I will be using the unlock input as I like the idea of the coming/leaving home lights, but I won't be using the handbrake input - I just want the lights on. 

The pics will help no end! Really appreciate your help on this Martin. 

Thanks
Ant
podwin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote podwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2016 at 2:05pm
Hi,

I have taken some pictures. Below is the installation:

Here is how I took a permanent feed from the battery with an inline fuse:

These wires are for the handbrake and unlock pulse, which come from the back of the glovebox via an unused grommet.

This is a close up of the box I put the Module in with its configuration button mounted within it. It is secure with sticky pads so it doesn't move around.

The fuse box is easy to get to, here are the two main beam fuses:

Here is another shot this time including a fuse I piggy backed for IGNITION ON.

Hope that helps.

Edited by podwin - 20áMará2016 at 3:34pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2016 at 10:02pm
Fantastic install Martin! That is really helpful!! I feel a lot more confident in the job now. I'm shopping for an enclosure and as soon as I have that I hope to get started. 

Thanks very much yet again! 

Ant
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áAprá2016 at 11:37pm
Going to be tackling this tomorrow if the weather is dry. Took a good look as part of preparation today and can't do the install the same way with the separate box. I should have looked more closely before ordering all the parts Ouch

I'll try and do a new thread with my install and link the two together. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic