UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Owners questions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Which Qashqai?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Qashqai?
    Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 3:49pm
Hi folks.

I have set my heart on a Qashqai as my next car and as with everything, it comes down to money.

I think I will be aiming for a QQ which is a couple of years old, perhaps a 58 plate etc, and would really like the Tenka spec (if budget will stretch) but I am stuck on which Engine size/Fuel type to get?

I only do about 300 miles per month. I dont plan on racing around as I am a money-consious driver, so although I like a good burst of speed haha, Im not that fussed about getting a powerful engine as I would be saving money on fuel and tax.

I was thinking about getting the 1.5l Diesel, but have a couple of Qs.

1) I sometimes tow a trailer, and wondered if the 1.5l Deisel will strugle will a fully loaded car/trailer - any views or experience ?

2) I read somewhere on the board that the 1.5 engine is from an old Renault, and reportedly unreliable - is this the case?

3) Are there any serious downsides to the 1.5d that make existing owners wish they selected something else? Would I be better off with a Petrol perhaps? I have never owned a Diesel; Are they more expensive to service etc?

I intend to keep the car for the next 6 years so would rather stretch a few extra ú1000s now, than be dissapointed with my choice for that time.

Many thanks for any words of wisdom that you could give me.
Joe.

Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 4:29pm
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

I have a 1.5 dci Tekna, 08 plate so was in a very similar situation as you when buying a year ago.
I went for the diesel over the petrol for fuel economy, and because most reports say it has more grunt than the petrol. The 1.5 dci engines from that time don't have a DPF, which may have been a concern for you doing low mileage, so that's something you don't need to worry about.

The diesel will set you back more on paper, but if you shop around a bit and get a good deal you may find one for about the same as a petrol (I did Big smile). I've never owned a diesel before (came from a 1.6 Civic) and have been hugely impressed by the fuel economy and power for such a small engine. I reckon it would be OK with a trailer (although it won't set your pants on fire) but I'm sure someone with experience could give you more info.

If I were you I'd look for a good example of the 1.5 diesel rather than the petrol. Especially if you keep it for six years - you'll reap the benefits with the fuel economy and I imagine the tax is lower too. Not sure about servicing costs but again, if you shop around you may not end up paying more anyway.

Good luck in your search and I hope someone else can help you with some of your specific questions!
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 4:57pm
Hi & Welcome Joe...Smile
Gemma most of your Qs...as for towng a trailer wont be a problem at all as the torque on the 1.5dci is more than up for a trailer... had the1.6 petrol QQ before and pulled a caravan with it and its not a patch on the 1.5dci ...Thumbs Up
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 6:00pm
Hi thanks for your detailed replies - certainly food for thought there!

Gemma, one thing I am unsure about -

You mentioned the older QQ didn't have the DPF (which I have just searched the website for as I didn't know what it was) and it seems that if you don't hit high enough exhaust temps to burn off the soot etc, you could be looking at a ú200 bill for Nissan to do forced regeneration!?  (Hope I understood that from what I have read?)

Now a few poeple have said you need to be doing 70mph for 30mins etc. As I doubt I will be hitting that kind of speed/milage regularly (as I normally just potter around town at 30mph), surely its a good thing that the older models don't have it?  Or am I missing something there?

Many thanks for your help!
Joe.
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 6:16pm

Yes, it's a good thing for you that the older models don't have it. That's what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear! I just wanted to alert you to the DPF issue so that if anyone mentioned it, you wouldn't have to worry if you're considering an older 1.5
:)

Edited by Gemma - 09áSepá2011 at 6:18pm
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
Craigy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áSepá2011 at 10:27pm
Hi Joe,

I would say if you don't do much mileage and rate fuel economy above power then the 1.5 is a good choice. Like you say the 1.5 is out of a Renault and got a bit of a reputation for being unreliable. I unfortunately had first hand experience of this but I believe things have improved since then.
People on this forum swear by this engine in the QQ and it doesn't seem to be the case, I however couldn't entertain another one of these units though.
If your doing low mileage, it will most likely be fine, its really only high mileage drivers who had problems. I'd expect a diesel engine to last 150-200 k , nobody I worked with managed to get one over 100k.

In fairness though the Renault mechanics were all entirely incompetent too, which didn't really help.
N-Tec 2.0Dci 4x4 in Nightshade.
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2011 at 5:25pm
hi guys, all good advice, thank you.

The more I read on this forum, the more doubts I am having about a diesel.  Would a Diesel be the best choice given than 90% of my journeys will be 10mins tops, at under 30mph ?

Maybe I would be better off with a Petrol ?  There does seem to be an awful lot more Petrol models available on the 2nd hand market that deisels, from what I have seen so far - so I guess I would have a little more choice ?
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2011 at 5:39pm
If you are really going to be doing quick ten minute journeys about 90% of the time at 30 and under...then really you should get a petrol engine.

For a start the diesel engine, even though compression ignition will barely get warm....this is what leads to carbon build up....
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2011 at 5:48pm
Yep...petrol better suited to your driving habits of short runs..in saying that I only do 10/15 min runs but use duo carriageway at 70+mph but haven't got a dpf on my 1.5dci...
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2011 at 5:57pm
DPF or no DPF.....short, low speed runs the majority of the time is not good for ANY diesel angine.

Diesels, by the very nature of them need to be driven....
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áSepá2011 at 6:42pm
I agree totally with Hamish, get. petrol for your short journeys and low mileage.

That said, the gearbox in the 1.6 petrol isnt that Great in my opinion, especially if you are towing. it revs farbtoo high an is a 5 speed, crying out for a 6th gear.... Try for. 2l petrol QQ. power is amazing, fuel consumption is ok considering your mileage and you wont ""have the dreaded issue with. potential DPF clogging up.

All the best with your search.

Fee xxx
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
asp9990 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp9990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 2:36am
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a QQ 1.6 2008 model from a dealer. I really love the car but when I'm driving I can hear a constant rattle coming from the back near the boot. I can't find the problem and wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to resolve it.

Also I want to change the in car stereo for a Sony MEX 3900U because it can streamline my iPhone calls and music. I was hoping that Nissan had developed a similar one to what
my requirements are or a cable that would adjust my current system. Am also concerned that if I remove the current system it'll ruin the look of my dashboard.

Anyone got any suggestions please
Asp9990
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 1:37pm
Hi & welcome asp9990   Smile
Rattle at the bacg may be the boot catch become lose..check and tighten it up...although its a bit arkward too get at the nuts..do forum search as there is posts explaining how to do it...

A few members have bought a connect from ebay and fitted it themselfs with no problems may like to go down that route as it fits the same as the present system in your QQ... Can get details on this with a forum search....Thumbs Up
asp9990 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp9990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 2:19pm
Harry,

Thanks for the advice re the boot, my car is going back for a check-up after Halfords tried to fit the new system unsuccessfully and set off the idicator for the airbags. This is why am reluctant to return to Halfords and thought there maybe a simpler way. Any ideas where I might look on the forum please. Also I want to but some chrome wing mirror covers. However, I was unsure as they are only stuck on with tape.

I love your opinion on the wing mirror covers. I've seen some on EBay.

Kind regards,

Angie
Asp9990
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 2:24pm
asp you can reset the airbag light yourself the "how to" is on here already matey , the boot rattle can be fixed with some electrical tape around the boot catch or by adjusting the boot catch
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 2:36pm
As for the wing mirrors covers can get them at discount in our discount store but have to contribrute to become a full member to gain access + loads of other benefits too but thats up to yourself if you want too....its ú6 or ú10 with a club sticker...

At the top of the page there is a search option....then type in what you want to find out about ..use different words if you get nothing 1st time also tick the year and older part of the form.... Thumbs Up
asp9990 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp9990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 4:44pm
Harry,

Just wanted to say a big thks, I've reset the airbags . I now just need the link for full membership so I can join.

Ta
Asp9990
asp9990 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp9990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 4:48pm
Thks for the advice it worked. Am one happy bunny. I think am going to give Halfords a wide birth and find a local place as you've suggested. I looked at your retro installation of the connector it's to complicated for me to attempt unless I had guidance.

Asp9990
Asp9990
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 4:54pm
One of the girls did it by herself fitting a coonect bought from ebay (Gemma) sure she will give you all the help you need...Smile

One of the mods will post the contribruting thread link or else go into how to contribrite post its in the newbie Hi & hello section I think...Thumbs Up
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áSepá2011 at 5:01pm
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 8:12am

Hi again.

So using the above advice, I see that a Diesel is not for me due to making lots of short journeys, so I am now trying to decide if I should aim for a 1.6 or a 2lt.

The benefits of a 2litre is that it obviously has more power and has a sixth gear which is good for motorway cruising, but obviously the 2litre QQ will cost more to buy, tax and run.

I will be getting a 2008/2009 model I would imagine.

1) Is there any difference in reliability between the 1.6 and 2litre engines for 2008/2009 models? I read that they new 1.6 117bhp is truly awful, but I don't think I can afford a 2010 model anyway.

2) A lot of members seem to post that the 1.6 is gutless, but why would nissan make a really crap car/engine choice?  Are these complaining members expecting too much from the car, and are used to pedal to the metal driving ?

3) I drive very carefully and pull away from lights slowly, dont overtake etc... so figure a 1.6 would be okay, but then I read some of the members posts and they make it sound truly awful. I would be scared of having a full load and/or trailer, and then finding that the car is a nightmare.  Any experience here?

Thanks for you words of advice so far!

joe.

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 8:50am
welcome joe

i have an 8 month old 1.6,
its certainly not fast, or entertaining to drive.. its comfortable,
I think they probably are expecting to much, to be honest its not much if any slower than a 1.6 focus (going on published 0-60 figures ect)

haven't heard of any reliability issues with the engines in any of the Qashqais to be honest.. nissan are pretty reliable (the lastest manufacturer reliability reviews showed japanese cars at the top of the charts, with honda in top spot, and nissan in the top 5, while german manufacturers didn't appear on the list until number 18!(and that was porsche) with bmw around 20-22 iirc)

I wouldn't call the 1.6 gutless.. its no racing car, but it can overtake if needed (working it a bit)
my only dislike is being a 1.6 and a not very aerodynamic car, on motorways ect the revs sit a bit higher, and the mpg isn't as good as my old car(bigger engine) on long journeys.
but as i dont drive much, especially long journeys it doesn't effect me, and according to the computer my MPG based over the last 1000 or so miles, is 30.9.. that includes some long journeys and mostly commuting (which is a 60mph road.. so revs higher than door to door ofcourse, plus im a little bit peddle happy sometimes )

I have had a full boot, stuffed full of detailing products many times, to the point where nothing else fits with the shelf still in, but only me in the car, and it hasn't seemed to affect it noticeably.

also had me and 2 other guys in and 3 sets of golf clubs and two folding trolleys in the boot without affecting it.. so i dont think its too bad.

Edited by CraigQQ - 13áSepá2011 at 8:51am
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 9:58am
As you are going to be doing all these short journeys, then you are not going to be able to use the advantage of a 2l petrol anyway...

Edited by hamish - 13áSepá2011 at 9:58am
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 10:11am
Welcome Joe and Angie Big smile Big smile.

Joe - just to confuse you further.............if you decide on a 2.0 petrol and if you like automatic gearboxes, have a test drive in a CVT if you can.  The 2.0 CVT is a beauty - smooth, quiet and a joy to drive.  It is (allegedly) leaner and cleaner than the 2.0 manual.

So good - I bought 2 (see my signature) and Mohawk bought 3.

I get average 31/32 mixed which I reckon relates to maybe 25 around town and up to 40 if you are careful with your right foot on a decent run.

HTH - but might just muddy your water further Wink.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
w1zzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1zzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Joe Shmoe Joe Shmoe wrote:

Hi again.

So using the above advice, I see that a Diesel is not for me due to making lots of short journeys, so I am now trying to decide if I should aim for a 1.6 or a 2lt.

The benefits of a 2litre is that it obviously has more power and has a sixth gear which is good for motorway cruising, but obviously the 2litre QQ will cost more to buy, tax and run.

I will be getting a 2008/2009 model I would imagine.

1) Is there any difference in reliability between the 1.6 and 2litre engines for 2008/2009 models? I read that they new 1.6 117bhp is truly awful, but I don't think I can afford a 2010 model anyway.

2) A lot of members seem to post that the 1.6 is gutless, but why would nissan make a really crap car/engine choice?  Are these complaining members expecting too much from the car, and are used to pedal to the metal driving ?

3) I drive very carefully and pull away from lights slowly, dont overtake etc... so figure a 1.6 would be okay, but then I read some of the members posts and they make it sound truly awful. I would be scared of having a full load and/or trailer, and then finding that the car is a nightmare.  Any experience here?

Thanks for you words of advice so far!

joe.

I have a 58plate 1.5dci and mainly do short journeys and have had no problems with it what so ever
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 10:36am
hahah, argh - so confusing...... now I dont know what to do?!

From reading the board, I got the impression that the Automatics were not as responsive and also worse on economy ?

Is that not the case?
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by HarryN-TEC HarryN-TEC wrote:

One of the girls did it by herself fitting a coonect bought from ebay (Gemma) sure she will give you all the help you need...Smile

One of the mods will post the contribruting thread link or else go into how to contribrite post its in the newbie Hi & hello section I think...Thumbs Up

Yep that's me! And I can confirm it's really easy to do, even for someone with no knowledge of such things Smile
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Joe Shmoe Joe Shmoe wrote:

hahah, argh - so confusing...... now I dont know what to do?!

From reading the board, I got the impression that the Automatics were not as responsive and also worse on economy ?

Is that not the case?

Automatics are generally juicier than manuals - that's the price you pay for being lazy. LOL

However, the CVT is unusual in being (allegedly) leaner and cleaner than the manual box on the 2.0 petrol.  The CVT was only available on the 2.0 petrol engine - I say 'was' as they are not accepting orders for that combo right now apparently, due to supply problems following the Tsunami, or Juke production taking preference, depending who you believe. 

The CVT is better than any regular automatic I have owned or driven (maybe 4 or 5) because it has an infinite number of 'gears' so is always in it's preferred selection with no 'jumps' between changes.  It also seems to 'brake' for you when you take your foot off the gas, whereas regular auto boxes run away with you going downhill for instance.  It also has a 'manual' option on it if you want to do so, pushing up or down on the lever against a spring to change up or down.

On the 2.0 diesel you get a traditional auto option, but those here who have that do not seem too impressed with it.

Phew that was a bit technical Geek.  Need a lie-down now.

dick.argyle View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
PICTURE PERFECT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dick.argyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 11:13am
Lie-down to have another dream.
2011. 1.5 dci n-tec caffe latte.
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 11:24am
hey, there is a Sound and Style 2l for sale near me.

What is your opinion of that special edition version ?
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 12:04pm
The fun in buying a car is that you can test drive all types of model before deciding.  If you are in no rush to purchase, try out your local dealers and spend some time in both 1.6 and 2.0 models driving on both local roads and motorways.   Good luck and enjoySmile 
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 12:40pm
I think someone on here has the Sound and Style...is it chainsaw perhaps?
They seem to be quite rare...
mini_mad_paul View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_mad_paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2011 at 6:40pm
From what I know, the Sound & Style came out before the NTec was introduced. The S&S has the benefit of the Bose sound system.
2009 Cayman Blue Qashqai 1.5 Tekna Avg 41.1mpg - Born: 15/05/2009 - Died: 31/05/2012
2012 Ford CMax 2.0D Titanium Powershift Avg 37.7mpg - Born: 01/06/2012 - Died: 31/05/2015
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2011 at 9:55am
.....................and they first used the Nightshade colour exclusively on the Sound & Style too.
Joe Shmoe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Shmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2011 at 1:32pm
Hi thanks guys.

so basically it was the same as the NTEC that was to come after it, but also featured the BOSE system, which is now in the Tenka ?

So it doesn't really have anything that the Tekna doesn't have? So what was the point of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic