UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Windscreen Wipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casper1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windscreen Wipers
    Posted: 20†Dec†2017 at 4:47pm
Hi all, hope this posts in the correct place. I have a qashai J10 facelift model. I left the wipers on auto. Got back in car and turned ignition on with windscreen thick of snow. The wipers struggled so I turned ignition off. I then cleared the snow and turned ignition back on to which wipers did not work. I then changed the fuse and nothing. After some diagnosis I realised i'd blown the motor. Motor has since been changed. The wipers now only work on high speed, maybe for 20 seconds or so and then start again at random intervals. I have since changed the wiper/switch, however with no change. The only thing left I can think of is the IPDB box. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Dec†2017 at 5:16pm
and I have been daft enough to complain about BMW wipers having to be switched over to Auto each time start---I never considered this aspect.
Other half does not use the Auto setting on her QQ ,likes to do it manually.
Brian
Spanner View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Dec†2017 at 8:25pm
Have you checked the relay.
casper1974 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casper1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Dec†2017 at 9:56pm
Thanks for reply. I've checked online and handbook, no relay listed.
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 12:03pm
The front wiper relay and front wiper high relay are integrated into the IPDM board.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2cnglko.jpg
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casper1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 1:18pm
Thanks hound. That clarifies my problem.
Spanner View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 2:35pm
Strange, the Haynes manual shows thereís one for front & back, thatís in a book up to 13 reg, so I donít know, Iíve never had a reason as yet to deal with that problem, with what youíve done so far I would be going for a diagnostic check to pin point the problem,
__chris__ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __chris__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 3:15pm
 As a pure suggestion, based on experience with other problems on others cars, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and then reconnecting?
It's the car equivalent of rebooting a computer and sometimes help re-set electrical / control box / ECU issues.

Hope you get it sorted.
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 5:53pm
The "reset" is certainly worth trying, as would be clearing a logged fault via the OBD2 port. As well as the fuse that you say you've changed (#44, 30A in the IPDM box), the only other direct fuse is the main one that feeds the wiper system and the rear demister: Fuse D (80A) in the fusible link holder... and if the wipers work on high speed, those fuses seem to be out of the suspect list. If reset isn't effective, I'd consider double-checking all the fuses in the IPDM before resorting to replacing the entire unit.

http://i63.tinypic.com/id6tr6.jpg
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casper1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Dec†2017 at 6:04pm
Thanks everyone. I've had a diagnostic check and nothing showed up. All the fuses in the IPDB are ok.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casper1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Dec†2017 at 4:58pm
Hi. Found a IPDM. It looks identical but 2 digits are different. Does anyone know what the chances are of it working. Thanks.
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Dec†2017 at 9:31pm
Sorry - would only be guessing now. You'd have to nicely ask the vendor for their goodwill to return it for a refund if it doesn't cure the problem. But is there anyone who's electronically qualified in your area who could look at the problem first? We assume it's the IPDM but there may be something we overlooked. I assume the battery disconnection didn't help? (After first checking you have codes for the radio if needed, of course)
mrtutz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrtutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01†Mar†2018 at 10:28pm
Hi All. 

First off, big thanks to Hound and Spanner for posting drawings up. That's a big help!

I've experienced a similar problem with our J10 Tekna tonight. The front wipers just stopped working on my wife and stopped 1/2 way across the screen. The 30A fuse in the IPDM is OK, however I've yet to check the 80A fuse up stream of that one. I would have expected that the fuse would have either blown because it was overloaded clearing snow or because the wipers were frozen to the windscreen, or if it was a linkage or motor problem, they might have worked with a little help from me pushing on the wiper arms. 

From experience on other Nissans, the IPDM's are supposed to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer, however I have fitted a couple on Cabstars without issues. Also, the relays on the IPDM are an odd size on a Cabstar, and although they look the same as other similar automotive relays aftermarket ones physically wont fit in the slots. 

It's blowing a gale here at the moment so I've only managed to have a quick look and check the basics. I'll plug it in tomorrow and see if there's any faults recorded in the body module.
Thrall View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01†Mar†2018 at 11:45pm
Have you thought about testing the motor itself? Removing it (with the linkages) is easy on a J10 when you have removed the wiper arms, which demands a wiper arm puller, as mine at least were very tight. A new motor on Ebay cost £103 with postage, identical to the original, from Valeo.
mrtutz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrtutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02†Mar†2018 at 8:20am
Thatís the plan. It was so windy here last night the bonnet nearly blew into the windscreen. Iíll have a look tonight when I can get it into the workshop at work
BrianMay View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianMay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02†Mar†2018 at 11:11am
Funnily enough when I was about to clear 4 inches of snow from my new (to me QQ), I remembered to switch the wipers from Auto to Off - but it was a close thing.

Automatics aren't always helpful, often are, but not all the time.
mrtutz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrtutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08†Mar†2018 at 11:27pm
OK, so just as I was about to start ripping the car to bits, the wipers started working again. They went wrong again today so I took the car in work this evening. After plugging the car into my scanner I could see that there was no issue with the stalk, as the IPDM was registering the signals from it.

I removed the wiper motor and linkages to see what was going on. Mid way through the removal process the wipers freed off and started to work again. The linkage is free, however the output shaft spindle from the motor is worn and after stripping the spindle out of the motor the shaft is pitted and corroded. One of the teeth on the gear is damaged. 

My theory is that because of how the motor is mounted, water collects at the bottom part of the spindle and sits there, it may even get drawn up to the gap in between the spindle and the housing. Over a period of time, because of the axial load on the spindle from the linkage, and the corrosion, the aluminium housing wears oval. Eventually it gets worn to the point where it locks up the motor. 

An easy way to check this on the car is to try and reach in through one of the removable debris covers and wiggle the end of the wiper motor arm. If you feel any play at all, expect the motor to fail on you soon.

Thrall View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08†Mar†2018 at 11:53pm
This is exactly what I experienced in January. I bought a new wiper motor on ebay for £103 delivered to UK and have been happy since. Except, the issue of water from the windscreen leaking past the plastic scuttle onto the motor, which is fine to begin with, but when the motor spindle is worn, then water enters and wrecks the spindle and ultimately the motor itself. My only solution is to seal the scuttle to the windscreen above the motor with clear silicon. Yet to do it... ;)
mrtutz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrtutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 10:56pm
Iíve ordered a new motor from Slick parts in Oldham which Iíll collect tomorrow. £90 doesnít seem bad seen as how Nissan and most other suppliers have no stock. Slick got stock in today and theyíve already sold 20. Worth buying one now before they sell out again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic