UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Wont Lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wont Lock
    Posted: 15áNová2010 at 2:32pm
Hey there members,

I have a 2007 1.5 Dci Tekna.
Just had a new back screen fitted the other day 'professionally' as the previous one got broken.
During the fitting, the boot locked and wouldnt open with the I Key, though I managed to get it opened manually from inside through the little white slot.
The screen fitter said that there may be some glass inside the mechanism but wasnt qualified or authorised to remove it to check.
So after the screen was fitted, I unplugged the mechanism and removed it from the tailgate via the 2 bolts. There was indeed a small slither of glass inside which i assumed was the problem.
After reassembling the lock mechanism and reconnecting the wiring plug I heard the audible beep beep beep, which is usually associated with the doors being closed.
Only problem was that the tailgate was open at the time.
When I closed the tailgate and tried to lock the doors, the audible extended beep sounded (the one where you have left the I Key inside and tried to lock the car via the door button.)

My thinking is that something happened when the fitter messed with the remote when trying to get the tailgate open and now the car is confused somehow.

Is there a fuse? If so would pulling it reset the system?

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Angus
Angus_1972 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 2:38pm
In addition.
Also the interior lights wont go off (like there is a door left open) unless manually switched off.
However if I unplug the wiring plug at the tailgate door lock mechanism (isolating it from the other locks) then I can get all the doors to lock and the interior light go out as they should and the 3 beeps sound as it locks.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 2:55pm
Welcome Angus Big smile.

Certainly sounds like the system is confused - thinking whatever is the reverse of the tailgate lock status Geek.  Not heard of that before.

Can your friendly neighbourhood dealer advise?  Maybe just a phone call could do it?

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Welcome Angus Big smile.

Certainly sounds like the system is confused - thinking whatever is the reverse of the tailgate lock status Geek.  Not heard of that before.

Can your friendly neighbourhood dealer advise?  Maybe just a phone call could do it?

Thanks for the welcome and sorry my first post is a problem.
To be honest I never actually thought there was a Qashqai forum on the net and never gave it a thought until I googled to try to rectify my problem.
I'll phone Nissan and see what happens, never phoned them as my thinking of dealers is being ripped off and its info in exchange for money, but i'll give it a try.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Angus_1972 Angus_1972 wrote:

I'll phone Nissan and see what happens, never phoned them as my thinking of dealers is being ripped off and its info in exchange for money, but i'll give it a try.

Maybe..............just maybe.............they'll think of the long game............invest a bit in customer relations now and - hey presto - you have a happy and repeat customer Tongue.

Let us know.

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 3:37pm
welcome angus

hope you get it sorted mate
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 3:38pm
Right...Although the guy seemed friendly enough on the phone, he suggests (as i thought he might) to bring the car into the Nissan garage and pay ú76 for them to have a look......dont think so.
Going to try to fix it myself for a while.

Got an idea whilst I was on the phone, to close the tailgate and reconnect the multi plug and see if that works since it seems to think its open when its closed and vice versa.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 3:42pm
sounds a good place to start angus
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
the stig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 4:52pm
hi and welcome angus what i would try is disconnect the battery and reconnect this should reset all but before doing this make sure you have got the code for the radio.its worth a try as i had a similar thing happen to me before with the central locking and doing this cured the problemSmile
60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 5:31pm
I would def check the connector for the boot lock. Sometimes when you unplug them and reconnect they don't always make a good connection. It sounds like the system is convinced the boot is still open, how is this detected ?, is it through the lock mechanism or one of those push switches that are normarly on the door pillars etc.
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by the stig the stig wrote:

hi and welcome angus what i would try is disconnect the battery and reconnect this should reset all but before doing this make sure you have got the code for the radio.its worth a try as i had a similar thing happen to me before with the central locking and doing this cured the problemSmile
Will try this if i dont get any joy from my previous post, also the radio does not used a code according to the tech at Nissan that I spoke to today when I asked him that question.
Thanks the stig for your help, much appreciated.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by noki49 noki49 wrote:

I would def check the connector for the boot lock. Sometimes when you unplug them and reconnect they don't always make a good connection. It sounds like the system is convinced the boot is still open, how is this detected ?, is it through the lock mechanism or one of those push switches that are normarly on the door pillars etc.
Hi noki49, I have had then connector off and on a few times and also checked for corrosion etc, however there was a little water in it to start with which I dried out with a hair dryer before re-connecting it.
There is no push switches so I guess its detected through the lock mechanism itself.
Thanks very much for your input, much appreciated.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 8:26pm
Tried all of the above earlier with no joy......going to try disconnecting the battery for a few hours tomorrow instead of 5 mins tonight, see if that makes any difference.

Thanks to all so far who have tried to help.
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 8:45pm
I would try and work out how it detects the boot is open. If the courtesy light stays on it must be convinced the boot is open and that is why it wont lock. If all works well with the boot lock disconnected then you need to be having a good look at the lock mechanism. I wish I was near to have a look at it with you.
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by noki49 noki49 wrote:

I would try and work out how it detects the boot is open. If the courtesy light stays on it must be convinced the boot is open and that is why it wont lock. If all works well with the boot lock disconnected then you need to be having a good look at the lock mechanism. I wish I was near to have a look at it with you.
I think your on the right track with the above, I too think the lock mechanism is the problem.
Will have a better look tomorrow when daylight comes around and hopefully its not pissing it down like tonight. 
Thanks mate.
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áNová2010 at 9:09pm
Good Luck.
Let us know what is was if you sort it.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 6:19pm

Yessss!!!!

Guys I have fixed it.

As suspected, the locking mechanism still had some glass inside of it.
I took the lock mechanism off, then unclipped the plastic cover that protects the little motor that drives the lock/unlock on the mechanism.
Moved the mechanism about a few times with my fingers.
It felt a little sticky so gave it a few shakes and a couple of bangs then moved it about again.....and hey presto, two small cubes of glass fell out on the worktop.

Bolted it back into the tailgate and plugged it back in, closed the tailgate and got the 3 beeps, pressed the lock button on the remote and it all locked.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, especially noki49 who simplified the problem and narrowed it down to the locking mechanism itself.

Hopefully I can return the help some day for someone else.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 6:26pm
great news mate
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 6:45pm

Happy to help, Glad you managed to sort it in the end.Clap

Nightshade View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 7:14pm
They would of charged you a fortune, so you done well sorting this out without the dealer. Pleased for you mate.

Kano View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 11:49pm
Just a thought Angus, but i think the three beeps on our Tekna's also mean that you haven't turned the ignition switch all the way off, push the wee button in to engauge the steering lock and turn it the last bit.
Nice to see a local Tekna.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áNová2010 at 11:54pm
it is indeed kano

there should be no beeping on a tekna if all is ok , beeps are a warning and as kano says 3 is ignition on warning
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus_1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áNová2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Kano Kano wrote:

Just a thought Angus, but i think the three beeps on our Tekna's also mean that you haven't turned the ignition switch all the way off, push the wee button in to engauge the steering lock and turn it the last bit.
Nice to see a local Tekna.
Will try this tonight, never actually put the steering lock on my QQ.....woohoo something new to try.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áNová2010 at 2:42pm
Glad it's all sorted Angus and well done you for persevering on your own Clap.  If it was me I would have gone straight to the dealer...........wimp Embarrassed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic