Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Membership
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts
    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:10pm
First of all thank you for letting me join.  I'm hoping that this forum will be able to help me, I used to be a moderator on a Subaru Forum but that was a few years and a few cars ago now Smile
So ......... I would like to know what you all think.  My dad has had his '10 plate Qashqai since it was 3 years old and not had any trouble with it at all.  We wanted a reliable and good looking car so we bought a 66 plate Qashqai last November from the main dealership in Reading.  The customer service we received at the time of purchase, with trading in our Toyota Avensis was second to none, the day the Qashqai was collected from the showroom it was really well presented, under a huge red cloth, we never had this service when we bought a brand new Juke back in the day!!  It made the whole experience really enjoyable, we were so pleased with the car, it only had 22,000 miles on the clock and the bodywork was immaculate.
Fast forward to Friday the 13th.  We'd booked the Qashqai in for the annual service and MOT.  This came with a "free" health check.  Bearing in mind, we've only done 3,500 miles this year due to the dreaded, we were expecting the Qashqai to fly through the MOT, service and health check, after all it's only a 4 year old car, what could go wrong!!!
Imagine my surprise when I received an email from the service assistant with a video attached from the engineer who had just MOT'd, serviced and checked our Qashqai.
The engineer very kindly pointed out that there was an oil leak between the engine and gearbox that would need "investigating", also a "slight misting" of oil from one of the shock absorbers.   The front and rear wipers are splitting and all need replacing, the battery needs replacing (even though we've not had any issues with it starting or anything) and the canister for the spare wheel has expired, oh and one of the tyres is perished on the outside wall.
We did not authorise any of the works to be done as they are all "advisory" following the health check.
We collected the vehicle that evening and mentioned to the customer service guy that we were not happy, said we bought it from them a year ago, have only done 3,500 miles etc etc.  His response was that he would speak to his manager and get back to me the next day.
Said response did come through which said that at the health check they carried out before we bought it from the dealership there was no sign of any oil.
Note that we have never seen any oil on our driveway underneath the car and it's parked in the same place every day.
We have now been advised to contact Nissan direct to ask them to carry out the £700 investigation as a goodwill gesture.  
I have today found the "extended warranty" paperwork that we had when we bought the car, rang the dealership straight away and was told that we have to authorise the work, i.e. agree to pay the £700+, if they find a part which is faulty, the warranty would cover the cost of the part plus the investigation, if, however, they do the investigation and find that there is no faulty part then we have to pay up.

On a side note, because we were so pleased with how the Qashqai was, fuel economy etc etc I traded in my '07 Freelander for a '17 plate Tekna just a couple of months ago.  I'm now dreading taking that for it's service and MOT next year and wish I'd kept my Freelander, at least I knew it only needed new brakes and discs :-(

I look forward to hearing from you, if I have to I will be taking this to the top in Nissan.  
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:13pm
As the car passed the MOT, I would only replace the wiper blades, bin the sealant canister and invest in a spare wheel and jack.  In 8 years of ownership the only tyre problem i have had was a torn side wall which a can of sealant is as useful as a chocolate tea pot!! 
I haven't changed the battery of my QQ since buying new in 2012. 
As you have already pointed out, as long as you dip the engine oil regularly, you only need to worry about it if it 'drips'.

Edited by Doug999 - 20 Nov 2020 at 4:15pm
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic